Addictions - Including Substances Self Regulation Therapy (SRT)
Addictions - Including Substances
While some people can use prescription or recreational drugs with no negative effects, many others become addicted and face dramatic health and lifestyle problems as a result. Substance addictions negatively affect relationships, home, school or work, leaving the person feeling ashamed, helpless and isolated.
Physical symptoms of substance abuse and addiction are varied depending on the drug of choice, but the symptoms of the addiction itself are similar. People who are addicted to substances may neglect their responsibilities, take potentially dangerous risks and get into trouble with the law. As their drug use spirals out of control, they will lose interest in activities that used to be enjoyable and continue to take drugs despite knowing the harm it causes.
Substance addicts tend to build up a tolerance to their drug of choice, and get angry when they can't get more of it. Withdrawal symptoms are highly probable when an addict goes without it for too long. Depression, nausea, insomnia, sweating, restlessness, anxiety and shaking are all common withdrawal symptoms.
Psychotherapy can help you to overcome substance addiction by focusing on correcting maladaptive behaviors. Substance abuse is usually a coping mechanism against emotionally overwhelming past events or memories. Substances are often used to provide instant gratification instead of facing certain issues.
Therapists are equipped to help clients deal with addiction recovery through empowerment and helping them set simple short term targets. The first target is sobriety, followed by empowering the client with adaptive skills and finding new coping strategies that deal with the issues that caused the addiction. Substance addiction can be ended, allowing the person to live a healthy, productive life.
If you need a counsellor or psychologist to help you address the effects of substance addiction, you can search the directory below to find a professional with the approach best suited to your situation.
Self Regulation Therapy (SRT)
Self Regulation Therapy (SRT) offers a mind-body approach to reducing excess nervous activation. With roots in neurobiology, SRT reflects the human's built-in automatic response to threat or novelty.
The nervous system changes as the result of negative events, but Self Regulation Therapy (SRT) helps the nervous system to integrate these events and balance the nervous system.
Self Regulation Therapy (SRT) takes place in a contained environment where the client feels safe. It helps to develop new neural pathways to help the client to develop flexibility and to better handle daily stresses and challenges.
Self Regulation Therapy (SRT) can help the symptoms of dysregulation, including mood disorders, personality disorders, PTSD, stress and anxiety disorders, and physical issues such as chronic pain, asthma, migraines and insomnia.
If you are looking for a therapist who offers Self Regulation Therapy (SRT), please browse our list of practitioners below..
Note: You may narrow your search by selecting more than one filter below.
- (-) Remove Addictions - Including Substances filterAddictions - Including Substances
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual (4)Apply Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual filter
- Addictions - Pornography (1)Apply Addictions - Pornography filter
- Anger Management Issues (1)Apply Anger Management Issues filter
- Anxiety and/or Panic (6)Apply Anxiety and/or Panic filter
- Attention Deficit Disorder - ADHD (1)Apply Attention Deficit Disorder - ADHD filter
- Autism and Developmental Disorders (1)Apply Autism and Developmental Disorders filter
- Bipolar Disorder (1)Apply Bipolar Disorder filter
- Borderline Personality Disorder (1)Apply Borderline Personality Disorder filter
- Brain Health (1)Apply Brain Health filter
- Child Behaviour (1)Apply Child Behaviour filter
- Chronic Pain (2)Apply Chronic Pain filter
- COVID-19 Stress, Anxiety and Depression (1)Apply COVID-19 Stress, Anxiety and Depression filter
- Critical Incidents and Acute Stress (1)Apply Critical Incidents and Acute Stress filter
- Depression (6)Apply Depression filter
- Divorce and/or Separation (2)Apply Divorce and/or Separation filter
- Family Conflict (2)Apply Family Conflict filter
- Family Issues (2)Apply Family Issues filter
- Family Violence (1)Apply Family Violence filter
- First Nations Issues (1)Apply First Nations Issues filter
- Gender Identity Issues (1)Apply Gender Identity Issues filter
- Grief and Loss - General (4)Apply Grief and Loss - General filter
- LGBTQ Issues (1)Apply LGBTQ Issues filter
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues (3)Apply Marriage and/or Relationship Issues filter
- Men's Issues (1)Apply Men's Issues filter
- Narcissistic Personality Disorder (1)Apply Narcissistic Personality Disorder filter
- Parent/Teen Conflict (1)Apply Parent/Teen Conflict filter
- Parenting Issues (3)Apply Parenting Issues filter
- Perfectionism (2)Apply Perfectionism filter
- Personal Injury (1)Apply Personal Injury filter
- Phobias (1)Apply Phobias filter
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (6)Apply Post Traumatic Stress Disorder filter
- Postpartum Depression (1)Apply Postpartum Depression filter
- Self-Esteem Issues (4)Apply Self-Esteem Issues filter
- Sexual Assault (1)Apply Sexual Assault filter
- Sleep Difficulties-Adults (1)Apply Sleep Difficulties-Adults filter
- Stress Management (1)Apply Stress Management filter
- Suicide Ideation / Survivor (1)Apply Suicide Ideation / Survivor filter
- Teen Adjustment Issues (1)Apply Teen Adjustment Issues filter
- Trauma Counselling (4)Apply Trauma Counselling filter
- Workplace Issues (1)Apply Workplace Issues filter
- (-) Remove Self Regulation Therapy (SRT) filterSelf Regulation Therapy (SRT)
- Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (1)Apply Acceptance & Commitment Therapy filter
- ADD and ADHD Coping Strategies (1)Apply ADD and ADHD Coping Strategies filter
- Adolescent Therapy (1)Apply Adolescent Therapy filter
- Body Centred Psychotherapy (1)Apply Body Centred Psychotherapy filter
- Body Centred Therapy (1)Apply Body Centred Therapy filter
- Child Centred Therapy (1)Apply Child Centred Therapy filter
- Coaching (1)Apply Coaching filter
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) (4)Apply Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) filter
- Critical Incident Stress Management (1)Apply Critical Incident Stress Management filter
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (5)Apply Dialectical Behaviour Therapy filter
- EMDR (3)Apply EMDR filter
- Emotion Focused Therapy (1)Apply Emotion Focused Therapy filter
- Emotionally Focused Therapy - Individuals (1)Apply Emotionally Focused Therapy - Individuals filter
- Existential-Humanistic (1)Apply Existential-Humanistic filter
- Family Systems (1)Apply Family Systems filter
- Family Therapy (1)Apply Family Therapy filter
- Feminist Psychotherapy (1)Apply Feminist Psychotherapy filter
- Focusing (1)Apply Focusing filter
- Gestalt Therapy (1)Apply Gestalt Therapy filter
- Gottman Method Couples Therapy (1)Apply Gottman Method Couples Therapy filter
- Humanistic Therapy (1)Apply Humanistic Therapy filter
- Hypnotherapy (1)Apply Hypnotherapy filter
- Imago Relationship Therapy (1)Apply Imago Relationship Therapy filter
- Internal Family Systems (1)Apply Internal Family Systems filter
- Marriage & Couples Counselling (1)Apply Marriage & Couples Counselling filter
- Mindfulness approaches (2)Apply Mindfulness approaches filter
- Motivational Interviewing (2)Apply Motivational Interviewing filter
- Narrative Therapy (2)Apply Narrative Therapy filter
- ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING (4)Apply ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING filter
- Pain Management (2)Apply Pain Management filter
- Play Therapy (1)Apply Play Therapy filter
- Psycho-Educational Groups (1)Apply Psycho-Educational Groups filter
- Relational Psychotherapy (2)Apply Relational Psychotherapy filter
- Solution Focused Therapy (2)Apply Solution Focused Therapy filter
- Somatic Experiencing (1)Apply Somatic Experiencing filter
- Somatic Transformation (1)Apply Somatic Transformation filter
- Telephone Counselling (2)Apply Telephone Counselling filter
- Traumatic Incident Reduction (TIR) (1)Apply Traumatic Incident Reduction (TIR) filter
- Video Counselling (2)Apply Video Counselling filter