Areas of practice
- Anxiety and/or Panic
- Cross Cultural Issues
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Racial Identity
- Trauma Counselling
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Cross Cultural Therapy
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT)
- Gottman Method Couples Therapy
- Online / Virtual / Telehealth Counselling
Other languages spoken
Counselling practice website:https://drshereenkhan.janeapp.com/#staff_member/1
* Accepting new clients both in person and online.*
As a therapist, I invite curiosity, mindful awareness, compassion, and some humour. We all struggle at times and make mistakes, and I truly believe in the power of therapy to help people change. My aim is to help clients bring possibilities into reality, feel empowered, and have more understanding of themselves and others. I have more than 20 years of experience working with couples, families, youth and adults on a variety of emotional and psychological concerns. These include relationship issues, depression, anxiety, trauma, grief and body image, as well as career and workplace problems. My therapy style is warm, empathetic, and client-centered, which means, that I believe you the client is the expert in finding your answers and coming to resolutions. What I offer you is a non-judgmental, safe and empowering space to explore and excavate deep emotions and memories that might be presenting as blocks in your life. In therapy, I will follow your moment-by-moment experience and be with you as you go to places in your mind that you may be afraid to trek alone. I will give you my undivided attention, hear you and try to understand your individual life experiences, while facilitating your efforts in regaining balance with your self.
The lasting impact of traumatic situations can be complex, life-altering and scary. Sometimes clients can feel stuck and in a fog. I use several different validated treatment approaches, including cognitive-behavioural therapy (CBT), eye movement desensitization and reprocessing EMDR, dialectical-behaviour therapy (DBT), emotion-focused therapy (EFT) and Gottman couples counselling techniques to support me clients.
Few things in life are as exhausting as a dysfunctional or toxic relationship. It’s sad how long many people suffer in these situations believing that there’s no help to be found, or that they’ve tried everything. Whether there has been a critical incident in your relationship or the discontent and resentments have grown overtime, it is resolvable. I have helped many couples resolve conflicts and rediscover intimacy and closeness. You don't have to navigate this alone. Well researched assessments and tools are available to repair your relationship. 90% of couples report improvement in their relationship after engaging in therapy (AAMFT, 2022).
Through culturally informed counselling, we address generational and racial trauma, and empower you to meet your emotional, mental and spiritual goals. Using a holistic lens, we will work together to improve any presenting emotional imbalances that have created barriers for you to show up as your full self in your daily life. For many of us within the BIPOC and immigrant community, there can be some hesitancy in seeking counselling. However, through an initial complimentary consultation you will be able to voice any questions you may have about counselling, and what you can expect to get out of it. Take the first step to your mental wellness and living your life on your terms. I look forward to speaking with you.
- DBT weaves the power of CBT and mindfulness practices to manage intense emotions, negative thoughts and self-defeating behaviours.
- EMDR therapy is an extensively researched, effective psychotherapy method proven to help people recover from trauma including PTSD, anxiety, depression, and panic disorders.
- Certified Complex Trauma Professional encompasses a wide range of evidence based trauma interventions.
- Gottman Approach: disarming conflict in verbal communication; increases intimacy, respect, and affection. Emotional Focused Therapy: adult attachment, prioritizes emotion and emotional regulation in relationship interactions.
Client fee individuals:150 plus GST
Client fee couples/families:215 Plus GST