Self-Esteem Issues Interpersonal Psychotherapy
A positive self-esteem is an essential tool to help someone function as a productive member of society. Our basic sense of worth determines how well we are able to deal with situations and how well we perform in the family, at school, at work and in life.
Having a healthy self-esteem means that we have a sense of self-worth, self-respect and the ability to find the good in yourself. On the contrary, a negative self image can lead to social anxiety, loneliness, self-criticism, shame and even anger. A person with low self-esteem often feels isolated.
Self-esteem issues are usually created in childhood when negative experiences and poor influences and reactions from caregivers stunt the development of a positive self esteem. Self-esteem can also be affected by abuse, or by being different. A person may be stigmatized for his or her social identity, race, social class, behaviors or appearance.
However, a person's self-esteem can also be challenged during adulthood when one experiences marital issues, financial problems, career glitches or legal challenges.
Therapy can help a person come to terms with self-esteem issues. A therapist will help identify the causes of self-esteem issues and help the individual to regain control over circumstances through goal-directed therapy.
It can help someone with low self-esteem to separate who they are from what they have, or how they look in order to overcome low self-esteem issues. Discovering one's worth is a great way to take control of situations and to learn to feel adequate.
If you are looking for a counsellor or psychologist who offers goal directed therapy to address your self-esteem issues, you may want to search the directory to find a professional whose approach will suit you best.
Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT) deals with depressive symptoms and issues. This short term treatment of up to 20 weeks deals with the client's main symptoms during the initial sessions. During this stage the therapist helps the client to regain a semblance of functionality, which will facilitate healing. IPT allows for variations that can be incorporated into treatment of a range of other co-existing issues.
Depression usually impacts heavily on interpersonal relationships, and Interpersonal Psychotherapy measures the dynamics of these issues during the initial stages. Strengthened relationships can lend significant support during the process of recovery from depression.
If you are looking for a therapist who offers Interpersonal Psychotherapy, please browse our list of practitioners below..
Note: You may narrow your search by selecting more than one filter below.
- (-) Remove Self-Esteem Issues filterSelf-Esteem Issues
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual (3)Apply Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual filter
- Addictions - Relationship (1)Apply Addictions - Relationship filter
- Adolescent Issues (1)Apply Adolescent Issues filter
- Anger Management Issues (1)Apply Anger Management Issues filter
- Anxiety and/or Panic (3)Apply Anxiety and/or Panic filter
- Career Issues (1)Apply Career Issues filter
- COVID-19 Stress, Anxiety and Depression (2)Apply COVID-19 Stress, Anxiety and Depression filter
- Depression (3)Apply Depression filter
- Dissociative Disorders (1)Apply Dissociative Disorders filter
- Divorce and/or Separation (1)Apply Divorce and/or Separation filter
- Grief and Loss - General (2)Apply Grief and Loss - General filter
- Intimacy Issues (1)Apply Intimacy Issues filter
- Job Transition (1)Apply Job Transition filter
- LGBTQ Issues (1)Apply LGBTQ Issues filter
- Life Balance (2)Apply Life Balance filter
- Life Transitions (1)Apply Life Transitions filter
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues (3)Apply Marriage and/or Relationship Issues filter
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (1)Apply Obsessive Compulsive Disorder filter
- Parent/Teen Conflict (1)Apply Parent/Teen Conflict filter
- Parenting Issues (1)Apply Parenting Issues filter
- Perfectionism (1)Apply Perfectionism filter
- Personal Growth (2)Apply Personal Growth filter
- Phobias (1)Apply Phobias filter
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (1)Apply Post Traumatic Stress Disorder filter
- Self Harming Practices (2)Apply Self Harming Practices filter
- Stress Management (2)Apply Stress Management filter
- Suicide Ideation / Survivor (1)Apply Suicide Ideation / Survivor filter
- Trauma Counselling (4)Apply Trauma Counselling filter
- Women's Issues (2)Apply Women's Issues filter
- (-) Remove Interpersonal Psychotherapy filterInterpersonal Psychotherapy
- Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (3)Apply Acceptance & Commitment Therapy filter
- Adolescent Therapy (2)Apply Adolescent Therapy filter
- Body Centred Psychotherapy (1)Apply Body Centred Psychotherapy filter
- Brief Therapy (1)Apply Brief Therapy filter
- Coaching (2)Apply Coaching filter
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) (4)Apply Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) filter
- Cross Cultural Therapy (1)Apply Cross Cultural Therapy filter
- Developmental Needs Meeting Therapy (1)Apply Developmental Needs Meeting Therapy filter
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (3)Apply Dialectical Behaviour Therapy filter
- Emotion Focused Therapy (1)Apply Emotion Focused Therapy filter
- Emotionally Focused Therapy - Individuals (1)Apply Emotionally Focused Therapy - Individuals filter
- Feminist Psychotherapy (2)Apply Feminist Psychotherapy filter
- Integrative Psychotherapy (1)Apply Integrative Psychotherapy filter
- Meditation (1)Apply Meditation filter
- Mindfulness approaches (4)Apply Mindfulness approaches filter
- Narrative Therapy (2)Apply Narrative Therapy filter
- ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING (3)Apply ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING filter
- Relational Psychotherapy (1)Apply Relational Psychotherapy filter
- Solution Focused Therapy (3)Apply Solution Focused Therapy filter
- Spiritual Counselling (1)Apply Spiritual Counselling filter