Areas of practice
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual
- Dissociative Disorders
- LGBTQ Issues
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Self-Esteem Issues
- Trauma Counselling
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Emotionally Focused Therapy - Individuals
- Feminist Psychotherapy
- Integrative Psychotherapy
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy
- Mindfulness approaches
- Narrative Therapy
- Relational Psychotherapy
- Solution Focused Therapy
Counselling practice website:nexuscounselling.ca
UPDATE - COVID-19 and Nexus Counselling Services:
In the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, your safety and health is paramount. Whether you are a new or existing client, to accommodate your concerns and maintain your health and safety and that of your family, friends and communities, Nexus Counselling Services continues to offer video conferencing counselling services and is now back in the office offering face to face sessions Nexus Services has developed an informed and comprehensive response to COIVD-19 and has developed an office protocol designed to keep you, me and our communities safe. To develop our protocol, Nexus Counselling Services used the following provincial and federal sources to develop a comprehensive protocol and educate ourselves and our clients on risks associated with the transmission, prevention and risks associated with COVID-19.
1. Government of Canada https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/prevention-risks.html
2. BC Centre for Disease Control http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/common-questions
3. WorkSafe BC https://www.worksafebc.com/en/about-us/covid-19-updates/covid-19-returning-safe-operation/in-person-counselling
About Nexus Counselling Services
Being in the nexus of something means you are right in the middle of it.
Hence, easy to feel overwhelmed by the multitude of things coming at you.
At Nexus, I will work with you within the context of a nonjudgmental, collaborative and healing therapeutic relationship to parse out and clearly see the interwoven links and connections that contribute to how you experience, perceive and interpret life's challenges, difficulties and obstacles. By understanding these connections, we can separate what is important to you and focus on your goal(s) to improve your mental, emotional and spiritual well-being.
I work with adults including men, women, LGBTQ community, veterans and first responders from different walks of life with various types of life issues and varying degrees of psychological disorders. Since graduating in 2013 with my Master's degree, my developing specialty is largely focused on working with clients affected by Dissociative Disorders and PTSD and have accumulated over 6500 clinical hours with this population.
Unique to my work with clients is the belief that each individual is just that - an individual. As such, my approach to working with clients is integrative; drawing on multiple tools and techniques from various psychological frameworks and philosophies - all of which are practiced from a Feminist, Cultural-Relational perspective.
Given there are a wealth of highly qualified therapists, Psychologists and counsellors in the Greater Vancouver area to choose from, why choose Nexus Counselling Services?
To answer that question, let’s begin with a definition - A, ‘Nexus’ can be defined as:
- A connection or a series of connections linking two or more people, things or events;
- The centre of focus;
- The focal point of a set of ideas;
- A relationship or series of relationships within a particular situation.
All definitions considered, a NEXUS is a central link or connection. If you happen to be at the nexus of something, you are right in the middle of it.
At Nexus Counselling Services, I recognize that being in the nexus of something often means you are right in the middle of it. Too often however, it is easy to feel overwhelmed by the multitude of things coming at you. At Nexus, I will work with you within the context of a nonjudgmental, collaborative and healing therapeutic relationship to parse out and clearly see the interwoven links and connections that contribute to how you experience, perceive and interpret life’s challenges, difficulties and obstacles. By understanding these links and connections, we can separate what is important to you and focus on your goal(s) for therapy with the intended outcome of improving your mental, emotional and spiritual well-being.
OK, so how does Candace work within the backdrop of a client’s ‘Nexus’?
My approach to counselling is deeply rooted in an off-shoot of Feminism, Relational-Cultural Therapy. As a Relational-Cultural therapist, I believe that clients hold the ‘key’ and, ultimately, know what is best for them.
By identifying the changes, you would like to make and understanding the myriad of factors that weave together to form the fabric of your life, you and I can work together and better identify what is not working, and, how to implement changes in a way that best works for you. By working collaboratively with you no matter your reasons and/or goals for counselling, our work together is always driven by you.
OK, so what are the foundational beliefs associated with Relational-Cultural Therapy and how will do they pertain to me and my work with Candace?
The foundational beliefs of Relational-Cultural Therapy include:
- As human beings, our need for connectedness to others is paramount.
- It is through our connection to others that we are able to change, open up, shift our perspectives of self and others, transform from ‘trying’ to ‘being’ and; allow us to heal our inner being and, grow to become the who we were meant to be.
- From a Relational-Cultural Therapy perspective, the therapeutic relationship is a ‘growth fostering relationship’ that promotes: healthy functioning, energy and passion, self-worth, clarity about self and others and, a longing for connection with others.
Based on the backdrop of working with a Relational-Cultural therapist, our work together will likely expand and elevate your feelings of mastery and empowerment. Like a trickle-down effect, this type of psychological empowerment often results in improved emotional health, increased personal growth and, deeper personal insight.
As a Relational-Cultural therapist, I encourage you to both see and understand the impact you have on me within the context of a therapeutic relationship that is empathetic, growth fostering, egalitarian, supportive safe and healing. By providing a safe and supportive environment, it is my hope that our work together within the context of a healing and mutually respectful therapeutic relationship will help pave the way for you to better recognize the impact you have in your relationships and the people around you. When we feel supported, heard and, fully understood, we are able to tap into our strengths, fully embrace our personal power and, develop the courage needed to take personal risks and strengthen bonds with others.
How will working with a Relational-Cultural therapist like Candace help me achieve my goals for counselling?
No matter ‘why’ a you may be seeking supportive therapy, Relational-Cultural Therapy addresses your goals through the development of increased relational competence via changing negative self-images by way of an egalitarian relationship which is built on mutual empowerment and mutual empathy.
As such, change from a Relational-Cultural Therapy perspective is influenced by the following:
- The strength of the therapeutic relationship;
- The level of authenticity of both therapist and client;
- A client’s expectations of therapy, the therapist, and self;
- Therapist self-disclosure;
- A client’s level of self-knowledge and ability for insight and how he or she defines ‘power’;
- Developing a ‘voice’ and being ‘heard’;
- Client’s understanding and/or experiences of societal and cultural norms and expectations;
- Increased consciousness and self-awareness;
- Characteristics of both the client and the therapist and;
- The ability of therapist and client to be vulnerable within the context of a meaningful therapeutic relationship.
Is Relational-Counselling Therapy for everyone?
In a word, YES. Given that connectedness with others is a universal human need, Relational-Cultural Therapy is an approach that is inclusive and suited for everyone (yes, everyone!...Individuals, Couples, Families and Groups) regardless of your age, gender preference, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, culture, nationality or socioeconomic status.
Does Relational-Cultural Therapy work in isolation?
Absolutely NOT! Importantly, Feminist counselling approaches have been described as ‘technically integrative’ and support using alternative evidence based practices and techniques with a Feminist framework. Also, when combined with clinical expertise within the context of a client’s characteristics, culture and personal preferences, the uniqueness of the individual is both honored and respected.
As a someone who pushes my own personal boundaries and embraces risk by ‘thinking outside the box’, I use tools and techniques from different evidence based practices and approaches (with my own spin, of course) believing no single technique and/or approach may be suitable for all clients.
Will Candace be a good fit?
If you are looking for a therapist/counsellor who primarily focuses on; asking you how you ‘feel, comes across as overly clinical and, shies away from authentic engagement and interaction, I am probably not for you.
If, however, you are looking for a therapist/counsellor that loves what she does, is active, engaging, down to earth in her approach, fully authentic, uses humor and, will challenge you based on your goals for counselling, then the chances are, we are likely a good fit!
NEXUS COUNSELLING SERVICES HAS AN EXPANDED SCHEDULE
- Tuedsays through Fridays: Face to face sessions and video sessions available.
- Mondays & Saturdays: Video sessions are now available.
- Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples
- Mindfulness: Creating Awareness, Flexibility and Freedom in the Treatment of Trauma
- Dissociative Identity Disorder
- Veterans Issues/Reintegration
Client fee individuals:$150.00
Client fee couples/families:$250.00