Adoption Issues Adoption Counselling
Adoption issues can affect adopted children and their adoptive parents alike. Parenting biological children can be hard, but adopted children need extra special care to deal with issues of rejection, abandonment and adjustment.
Communication is often one of the most difficult of adoption issues, where families are unable to express their emotions. Adoption can also impact on biological children and other family members, causing friction.
Adoptive parents may face adoption issues that relate to secrecy and reunion issues, sensitive parenting skills and talking to their children about adoption. More complicated issues could include special needs adoption, family rejection, genetic sexual attraction and adoption breakdown.
A therapist who has specialized training in adoption issues will be able to help you navigate the way right from making the decision to adopt to building a successful blended family. He or she will help you decide whether an international adoption or a local adoption is better for your family, and help to prepare any biological kids for the impending adoption. Adoption issues therapy can be immensely helpful in helping a family to learn how to communicate openly with one another, and express emotions in a thoughtful manner.
If your family is experiencing adoption issues, or if you want to help your adopted child to transition smoothly from childhood into adolescence, it is a good idea to consider counselling. A counsellor who is experienced in adoption issues will help everyone understand how adoption affects the adoptive family, the biological family and, most importantly, the children involved. Counselling can help you learn vital parenting skills to help your adopted child deal with low self-esteem and abandonment, two common adoption issues.
If you are looking for a counsellor or psychologist who works with adoption issues you may want to search the directory to find a professional whose approach will suit you best.
Adoption has a tendency to affect not only the adopted child and the adoptive parents, but also everyone else in the extended family. The emotional effects of adoption can cause a wide range of emotional effects which can be addressed by adoption counselling.
An adoption counsellor could assist families and individuals who have been touched by adoption to deal with any emotional issues that surround it. During individual or group adoption counselling sessions, the therapist will help clients to explore their emotions and understand why they feel a certain way. They will learn how to develop better stress management techniques and develop coping strategies.
Most adoption counsellors will use a range of approaches to suit each individual case and their therapies may include family, psychodynamic or psychoanalytic therapy. These therapies deal with the ways in which people's past thoughts affect their current perceptions and behaviours. They also will address current issues.
If you are looking for a counsellor who offers adoption counselling, please look at the listings below.
Note: You may narrow your search by selecting more than one filter below.
- (-) Remove Adoption Issues filterAdoption Issues
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual (1)Apply Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual filter
- Anxiety and/or Panic (5)Apply Anxiety and/or Panic filter
- Attention Deficit Disorder - ADHD (1)Apply Attention Deficit Disorder - ADHD filter
- Depression (5)Apply Depression filter
- Divorce and/or Separation (1)Apply Divorce and/or Separation filter
- Family Issues (1)Apply Family Issues filter
- Grief and Loss - General (2)Apply Grief and Loss - General filter
- Infidelity (1)Apply Infidelity filter
- LGBTQ Issues (1)Apply LGBTQ Issues filter
- Life Transitions (3)Apply Life Transitions filter
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues (2)Apply Marriage and/or Relationship Issues filter
- Men's Issues (2)Apply Men's Issues filter
- Parent/Teen Conflict (1)Apply Parent/Teen Conflict filter
- Parenting Issues (2)Apply Parenting Issues filter
- Perfectionism (1)Apply Perfectionism filter
- Personal Growth (2)Apply Personal Growth filter
- Pre-Marital Counselling (1)Apply Pre-Marital Counselling filter
- Procrastination (1)Apply Procrastination filter
- Self-Esteem Issues (3)Apply Self-Esteem Issues filter
- Sexuality (1)Apply Sexuality filter
- Sleep Difficulties-Adults (1)Apply Sleep Difficulties-Adults filter
- Spirituality (3)Apply Spirituality filter
- Stress Management (2)Apply Stress Management filter
- Teen Adjustment Issues (1)Apply Teen Adjustment Issues filter
- Trauma Counselling (1)Apply Trauma Counselling filter
- Vocational Assessment (1)Apply Vocational Assessment filter
- (-) Remove Adoption Counselling filterAdoption Counselling
- Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (1)Apply Acceptance & Commitment Therapy filter
- ADD and ADHD Coping Strategies (1)Apply ADD and ADHD Coping Strategies filter
- Adlerian Therapy (1)Apply Adlerian Therapy filter
- Adolescent Therapy (1)Apply Adolescent Therapy filter
- Coaching (1)Apply Coaching filter
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) (4)Apply Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) filter
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (1)Apply Dialectical Behaviour Therapy filter
- Divorce Mediation (1)Apply Divorce Mediation filter
- EMDR (2)Apply EMDR filter
- Emotion Focused Therapy (2)Apply Emotion Focused Therapy filter
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT) (1)Apply Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT) filter
- Emotionally Focused Therapy - Individuals (1)Apply Emotionally Focused Therapy - Individuals filter
- Existential-Humanistic (1)Apply Existential-Humanistic filter
- Expressive Arts Therapies (1)Apply Expressive Arts Therapies filter
- Family Systems (1)Apply Family Systems filter
- Humanistic Therapy (1)Apply Humanistic Therapy filter
- Internal Family Systems (1)Apply Internal Family Systems filter
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy (1)Apply Interpersonal Psychotherapy filter
- Marriage & Couples Counselling (1)Apply Marriage & Couples Counselling filter
- Meditation (1)Apply Meditation filter
- Mindfulness approaches (2)Apply Mindfulness approaches filter
- Motivational Interviewing (1)Apply Motivational Interviewing filter
- Narrative Therapy (2)Apply Narrative Therapy filter
- ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING (3)Apply ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING filter
- Psychodynamic Therapy (1)Apply Psychodynamic Therapy filter
- Satir Therapy (1)Apply Satir Therapy filter
- Sex Therapy (1)Apply Sex Therapy filter
- Solution Focused Therapy (2)Apply Solution Focused Therapy filter
- Somatic Approaches (1)Apply Somatic Approaches filter
- Spiritual Counselling (3)Apply Spiritual Counselling filter
- Transpersonal (1)Apply Transpersonal filter
- Video Counselling (2)Apply Video Counselling filter
- Vocational Counselling (1)Apply Vocational Counselling filter