Smoking Cessation Counsellors
Smoking cessation can be tough, but knowing that there are several options and by preparing yourself mentally for the process, you can make it easier on yourself.
Tobacco smoking is a psychological habit and a physical addiction. Nicotine is addictive because it offers a temporary high, and when you eliminate that you will experience physical symptoms, such as cravings and other withdrawal symptoms.
Many people habitually smoke to help them cope with boredom, anxiety, depression and stress. After doing it habitually for a while, it can become ritualistic - an automatic response. You will find that you smoke automatically as part of other activities. Socially, smoking is a way in which people relate to one another.
Successful smoking cessation requires a change in the routines or habits, as well as beating the addiction. More people are looking for healthier options to quit smoking than using nicotine patches and prescription medications. Many therapists now offer smoking cessation counselling and use a wide range of techniques and approaches to address tobacco addiction.
Hypnosis is a common method that helps people to create negative associations with cigarettes while the client is in a deep state of relaxation. It is nothing like what stage hypnotists do, and is in fact a serious and effective therapy for many. Cognitive behavioural therapy is a fantastic approach that helps people establish new habits to cope with smoking cessation. The therapist will help you to understand the reason why you smoke, and explore the associated emotions and feelings. You can quit smoking with the help of an experienced smoking cessation therapist.
If you are looking for a counsellor or psychologist who offers counselling approaches to address your smoking cessation issues, you may want to search the directory to find a professional whose approach will suit you best.
Note: You may narrow your search by selecting more than one filter below.
- (-) Remove Smoking Cessation filterSmoking Cessation
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual (1)Apply Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual filter
- Addictions - Including Substances (1)Apply Addictions - Including Substances filter
- Anger Management Issues (1)Apply Anger Management Issues filter
- Anxiety and/or Panic (1)Apply Anxiety and/or Panic filter
- Depression (1)Apply Depression filter
- Family Issues (1)Apply Family Issues filter
- Infidelity (1)Apply Infidelity filter
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues (1)Apply Marriage and/or Relationship Issues filter
- Parenting Issues (1)Apply Parenting Issues filter
- Personal Growth (1)Apply Personal Growth filter
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (1)Apply Post Traumatic Stress Disorder filter
- Self-Esteem Issues (1)Apply Self-Esteem Issues filter
- Stress Management (1)Apply Stress Management filter
- Trauma Counselling (1)Apply Trauma Counselling filter
- Adlerian Therapy (1)Apply Adlerian Therapy filter
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) (1)Apply Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) filter
- EMDR (1)Apply EMDR filter
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT) (1)Apply Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT) filter
- Family Systems (1)Apply Family Systems filter
- Gottman Method Couples Therapy (1)Apply Gottman Method Couples Therapy filter
- Hypnotherapy (1)Apply Hypnotherapy filter
- Marriage & Couples Counselling (1)Apply Marriage & Couples Counselling filter
- Meditation (1)Apply Meditation filter
- Motivational Interviewing (1)Apply Motivational Interviewing filter
- Psychodynamic Therapy (1)Apply Psychodynamic Therapy filter
- Solution Focused Therapy (1)Apply Solution Focused Therapy filter