Dissociative Disorders Counsellors
Dissociative disorders are common reactions, or defenses, to traumatic or stressful situations. It is normal for someone who has experienced a severe isolated trauma, or repeated traumas, such as abuse or domestic violence, to develop a dissociative disorders.
The main symptom of dissociative disorders is the fact that it alters a person's sense of identity, consciousness or memory. These symptoms are no less common than depression or anxiety, yet many individuals with dissociative disorders are frequently misdiagnosed. It could take years for the correct diagnosis to be made, and therefore, effective treatment is often delayed. During this time, they are often treated for headaches, psychotic symptoms, hearing voices, temper outbursts, poor concentration, memory lapses, mood swings, substance abuse, temper outbursts and more. Common misdiagnosis for dissociative disorders include Bipolar disorder, eating disorders, anxiety disorders, ADHD, and substance abuse.
Experienced mental health professionals know how to spot the hidden symptoms of dissociative disorders. They use scientifically proven diagnostic tests to arrive at the conclusion of dissociative disorders.
A wide range of therapies are used for dissociative disorders. It involves the client talking to the therapist about his or her condition and related issues. The therapist will help the client understand the causes of the condition and finding coping strategies to cope with stressful situations. In some cases, hypnotherapy can help the client understand what triggered the dissociative disorder.
Some of the other treatment options that have been proven to help dissociative disorders, include creative art therapy and cognitive therapy. Applied by a qualified therapist, these methods can help you change your thinking and find beneficial behaviours that will improve your life.
If you are looking for a counsellor or psychologist who offers dissociative disorders therapy to address your symptoms, you may want to search the directory to find a professional whose approach will suit you best.
Note: You may narrow your search by selecting more than one filter below.
- (-) Remove Dissociative Disorders filterDissociative Disorders
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual (2)Apply Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual filter
- Addictions - Including Substances (1)Apply Addictions - Including Substances filter
- Borderline Personality Disorder (1)Apply Borderline Personality Disorder filter
- Grief and Loss - General (1)Apply Grief and Loss - General filter
- LGBTQ Issues (1)Apply LGBTQ Issues filter
- Life Transitions (1)Apply Life Transitions filter
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues (1)Apply Marriage and/or Relationship Issues filter
- Men's Issues (1)Apply Men's Issues filter
- Personal Growth (2)Apply Personal Growth filter
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (2)Apply Post Traumatic Stress Disorder filter
- Self-Esteem Issues (1)Apply Self-Esteem Issues filter
- Sexual Assault (1)Apply Sexual Assault filter
- Trauma Counselling (3)Apply Trauma Counselling filter
- Body Centred Psychotherapy (1)Apply Body Centred Psychotherapy filter
- Coaching (1)Apply Coaching filter
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) (1)Apply Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) filter
- Developmental (1)Apply Developmental filter
- Developmental Needs Meeting Therapy (1)Apply Developmental Needs Meeting Therapy filter
- EMDR (1)Apply EMDR filter
- Emotionally Focused Therapy - Individuals (1)Apply Emotionally Focused Therapy - Individuals filter
- Existential-Humanistic (1)Apply Existential-Humanistic filter
- Feminist Psychotherapy (2)Apply Feminist Psychotherapy filter
- Imago Relationship Therapy (1)Apply Imago Relationship Therapy filter
- Integrative Psychotherapy (1)Apply Integrative Psychotherapy filter
- Internal Family Systems (1)Apply Internal Family Systems filter
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy (1)Apply Interpersonal Psychotherapy filter
- Jungian Psychotherapy (1)Apply Jungian Psychotherapy filter
- Mindfulness approaches (2)Apply Mindfulness approaches filter
- Narrative Therapy (2)Apply Narrative Therapy filter
- ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING (1)Apply ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING filter
- Relational Psychotherapy (1)Apply Relational Psychotherapy filter
- Sensorimotor Psychotherapy (1)Apply Sensorimotor Psychotherapy filter
- Solution Focused Therapy (1)Apply Solution Focused Therapy filter
- Telephone Counselling (1)Apply Telephone Counselling filter
- Video Counselling (1)Apply Video Counselling filter