Areas of practice
- Anxiety and/or Panic
- Divorce and/or Separation
- Grief and Loss - General
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues
- Brief Therapy
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Communication Skills Training
- Gottman Method Couples Therapy
- Imago Relationship Therapy
- Integrative Psychotherapy
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy
- Marriage & Couples Counselling
- Motivational Interviewing
- Solution Focused Therapy
Counselling practice website:www.richmondcounselling.com
Dr. Jonathan McVicar, MA, PhD (UBC), Registered Psychologist has been working with adults (ages 17+) and couples for over 20 years.
During this time, he has focused his practice on relationship / marriage difficulties, depression, anxiety, addictions, grief / loss and past / present trauma and abuse.
Jonathan’s educational background includes both a Masters and Doctoral degree in Counselling Psychology from UBC.
Jonathan believes his job is to put himself out of a job by getting his clients to a place where they no longer feel they need counselling and that their lives are stable and happy.
Primarily, a client-centered approach is used with each client to help define a therapeutic goal which we can collaboratively reach together. He believes that while therapy is challenging, it can also be an opportunity to find hidden abilities, strengths, and new ways to live that will enhance your quality of life.
Jonathan also teaches graduate level students in Counselling Psychology at UBC.