Areas of practice
- Attention Deficit Disorder - ADHD
- Chronic Illness
- Gender Identity Issues
- LGBTQ Issues
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues
- Transgender Identity and Adaptation
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT)
- Internal Family Systems
- Narrative Therapy
- Sex Therapy
- Video Counselling
Counselling practice website:www.islairathlincounselling.com
Islai Rathlin, MA, MSW, RSW (they/them)
Islai is a Registered Social Worker who specializes in working with queer, trans, and genderdiverse folk who are struggling to connect with themselves and others. They also specialize in supporting neurodiverse individuals experiencing life transitions. Islai works from an anti-oppressive framework and offers sex-positive, kink-friendly, non-monogamous and polyamorous relationship counselling.
My therapeutic work is heavily influenced by my lived experience. My personal journey has led me through poverty, marginalization, violence, and some really bad experiences with counsellors. I have spent a lot of time feeling different in spaces where I didn’t see anyone else like me, and I had trouble connecting with people because I was struggling to understand my own identities in spaces where my queerness was silenced and my transmasculine gender was misunderstood. Finally, in my twenties, in the process of figuring out how to just be me I learned the necessity of creating connections with folks who see you as you are and value what they see.
My lived experience has taught me the importance of chosen family, the strength and courage it takes to be your authentic self, the skills and self-awareness necessary to engage in ethical relationships, and the integral necessity of speaking your truth.
Gender affirming care is an important focus of my practice. I will provide you with the space to just be you, to speak your truth, and to support you in making the connections you need to thrive.
- I am a trained and qualified hormone and surgical readiness assessor through Trans Care BC.
- Currently completing the Wholistic Healing Practices & Colonial Trauma Certificate through the Centre for Indigegogy
- I have completed the Addictions Certificate through Wilfrid Laurier University's Faculty of Social Work.
Client fee individuals:$150
Client fee couples/families:$170