Areas of practice
- Chronic Illness
- Gender Identity Issues
- LGBTQ Issues
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues
- Pre-Marital Counselling
- Women's Issues
Counselling practice website:allyabrami.ca
I (Ally Abrami) am a Registered Clinical Counsellor (RCC #15901) and I currently see clients in my office in Kitsilano, Vancouver. I have a Masters of Counselling from City University of Seattle in Vancouver, BC and training in Gottman Method Couples Therapy and Emotion Focused Couples Therapy.
I offer individual, couples, and partner counselling to adults in the Vancouver area. My clinical expertise includes relationships, trauma, communication & boundaries. I also work with chronic pain & illness, grief & loss, anxiety & depression, and personal growth. I welcome queer folk, and folk in the BDSM and fetish community. I work with people in all relationship structures, i.e. monogamy, open, polyamory, swinging, etc.
Warm, accepting, inclusive, and open best describes my personal therapeutic style. My goal is to build a safe environment in which we can engage our curiosity and explore what brought you to my office.
My practice is guided by these principles:
- All people possess intrinsic equal worth and are worthy of respect. My therapy space is one of acceptance and safety. Gender, race, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, relationship, and family status pose no barrier to the therapy process.
- Everyone, and every relationship, has the ability to change; readiness depends on each individual.
- Clients are the primary agent of change in counselling; the counsellor’s role is that of guide.
- Change comes from an interplay of skill building and deep understanding. If we ignore either, clients are left with half of the puzzle undone.
- Counselling is a relationship where clients uncover new meaning and understanding, share strengths and achievements, and ultimately reach their personal goals.
I use a collaborative, integrative approach; I seek to choose therapies which best suit you and your situation and I ask for feedback about how that approach is working for you. It is important to me that counselling is never a mystery to my clients, that you always have an understanding of, and feel comfortable with, the work we are doing together.
Just as the therapies used should be tailor chosen for you, it is also important to have a good therapeutic fit. Referrals to other therapists are available at any time.
I am also passionate about the role of your story: understanding how you narrate your life story and the characters that play a role in that story is critical in charting a meaningful course in therapy.
In our initial session(s) we will build the foundation of our relationship as we get to know each other and start to find the shape of our work together.
If my approach resonates with you, follow up with me via my website at allyabrami.ca
Client fee individuals:$120/6
Client fee couples/families:$180/80min