Grief and Loss - General, Unwanted Habits Counsellors
Grief and Loss - General, Unwanted Habits
Grief is a natural part of dealing with the loss of a loved one, or a situation, or a way in which we see ourselves. Loss requires that we change the way things used to be and find a new way to restructure our lives accordingly. It's common for people to fear change, particularly if a part of us, or a person we loved deeply, is no longer there. It leaves a gap that has to be filled, but nothing can replace the person who has left us behind.
People deal with loss in many different ways, but the desired end result is the same - trying to piece together the puzzle to the best of our ability, without the missing piece. We also go through the various stages of grief at varying speeds and intensities. Dealing with all the emotions that form part of grief is what makes support so very important.
Time is of the essence during the grieving period, and something we sometimes tend to rush. That's why it's so useful to speak to a therapist who does grief counselling during this time.
A therapist will help you understand that what you are feeling is completely normal and even expected. Medical professionals are aware of the wide range of natural responses to grief and loss and are generally reluctant to diagnose mental illness while a person is in a period of bereavement. However, if depression is present, medication is likely to be prescribed.
Grief therapy will help you to accept the loss and be able to talk about it without breaking down. You will learn to identify and express your emotions regarding the loss and learn to make decisions without your loved one.
If you are looking for a counsellor or psychologist does grief counselling to address your grief and loss you may want to search the directory to find a professional whose approach will suit you best.
Any action or behaviour that you feel is not useful, compulsive (or it could say "but you do it anyway"), and is causing harm to yourself. This can include nail biting, skin picking, hair pulling, overeating, overspending, over-working and other things. It can feel as if you have little to no control over whether you engage in the behaviour, or it can occur without even realizing it is happening. Unwanted habits can lead to guilt, shame, low mood, and anxiety, among other things.
Note: You may narrow your search by selecting more than one filter below.
- (-) Remove Grief and Loss - General filterGrief and Loss - General
- (-) Remove Unwanted Habits filterUnwanted Habits
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual (1)Apply Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual filter
- Addictions - Including Substances (1)Apply Addictions - Including Substances filter
- Anger Management Issues (2)Apply Anger Management Issues filter
- Anxiety and/or Panic (3)Apply Anxiety and/or Panic filter
- Attention Deficit Disorder - ADHD (1)Apply Attention Deficit Disorder - ADHD filter
- Critical Incidents and Acute Stress (1)Apply Critical Incidents and Acute Stress filter
- Cross Cultural Issues (1)Apply Cross Cultural Issues filter
- Dementia and Alzheimer's (1)Apply Dementia and Alzheimer's filter
- Depression (3)Apply Depression filter
- Eating Disorders (1)Apply Eating Disorders filter
- Family Caregiver Stress (1)Apply Family Caregiver Stress filter
- First Nations Issues (1)Apply First Nations Issues filter
- Geriatric Issues and Counselling (1)Apply Geriatric Issues and Counselling filter
- Life Transitions (2)Apply Life Transitions filter
- Obesity (1)Apply Obesity filter
- Perfectionism (1)Apply Perfectionism filter
- Personal Growth (2)Apply Personal Growth filter
- Phobias (1)Apply Phobias filter
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (2)Apply Post Traumatic Stress Disorder filter
- Pregnancy (1)Apply Pregnancy filter
- Self-Esteem Issues (2)Apply Self-Esteem Issues filter
- Sexual Assault (1)Apply Sexual Assault filter
- Sleep Difficulties-Adults (1)Apply Sleep Difficulties-Adults filter
- Stress Management (1)Apply Stress Management filter
- Trauma Counselling (3)Apply Trauma Counselling filter
- Weight Loss (1)Apply Weight Loss filter
- Workplace Issues (1)Apply Workplace Issues filter
- Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (2)Apply Acceptance & Commitment Therapy filter
- ADD and ADHD Coping Strategies (1)Apply ADD and ADHD Coping Strategies filter
- Brainspotting (1)Apply Brainspotting filter
- Brief Therapy (1)Apply Brief Therapy filter
- Coaching (2)Apply Coaching filter
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) (2)Apply Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) filter
- EMDR (1)Apply EMDR filter
- Gestalt Therapy (1)Apply Gestalt Therapy filter
- Humanistic Therapy (1)Apply Humanistic Therapy filter
- Hypnotherapy (1)Apply Hypnotherapy filter
- Internal Family Systems (1)Apply Internal Family Systems filter
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy (1)Apply Interpersonal Psychotherapy filter
- Meditation (2)Apply Meditation filter
- Mindfulness approaches (3)Apply Mindfulness approaches filter
- ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING (2)Apply ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING filter
- Rapid Resolution Therapy (RRT) (1)Apply Rapid Resolution Therapy (RRT) filter
- Reality Therapy (1)Apply Reality Therapy filter
- Shame Counselling & Therapy (2)Apply Shame Counselling & Therapy filter
- Somatic Transformation (1)Apply Somatic Transformation filter
- Telephone Counselling (2)Apply Telephone Counselling filter
- Vocational Counselling (1)Apply Vocational Counselling filter