Areas of practice
- Anxiety and/or Panic
- Cross Cultural Issues
- Divorce and/or Separation
- Family Issues
- Grief and Loss - General
- Intimacy Issues
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues
- Parenting Issues
- Personal Growth
- Trauma Counselling
- Women's Issues
- ADD and ADHD Coping Strategies
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Cross Cultural Therapy
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT)
- Family Systems
- Family Therapy
- Feminist Psychotherapy
- Internal Family Systems
- Marriage & Couples Counselling
- Self Regulation Therapy (SRT)
Other languages spoken
Counselling practice website:www.tanyaelez.com
Dr. Tanya Elez is a Registered Psychologist and a Registered Marriage and Family Therapist who sees clients at her office in New Westminster downtown. She offers counselling services to diverse couples, individuals and families in various stages of their life journey.
1. Couples wishing to improve communication, increase level of trust and intimacy, and resolve relationship conflict stemming from sources such as:
- Life and work stress
- Cultural and personal differences
- Significant life changes
- Relationship with extended family
- Balancing individual and relationship needs
Diverse couples facing gender, cultural and other forms of oppression, and couples in various stages of couplehood are welcome.
Couple's counselling has been demonstrated to help strengthen relationships, (re)establish a sense of trust, and build closer, more intimate lasting bonds between partners. In counselling, couples can learn how to hear each other, express themselves more effectivelly and develop better conflict resolution strategies. As a result, they can build healthy connections, feel an increased sense of acceptance and safety, and continue to use the new tools in the way that promotes a lasting relationship
2. Individuals who are looking to live their lives to their fullest potential, or may be struggling with:
- The effect of past or current traumatic experiences and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Grief and loss related issues
- other concerns
Through individual counselling, people can learn to handle emotion differently, develop an increased sense of compassion and acceptance of themselves and increase access to their resources. As a result, they are able to be more productive, establish healthy relationships and enjoy their lives more fully.
3. Families in various stages of the family life cycle, such as new parents, families with young children, teenagers, families with adult children, blended, same sex families or separated families. Dr. Elez's specializes in parenting in a new country and issues facing immigrant families.
Family counselling is effective in improving family functioning, strengthening the family unit, changing behavioural and emotional problems and resolving issues such as anxiety, depression and anger in individual children and adults.
Relying on her compassionate personality and collaborative, non-judgmental approach, Dr. Elez is highly successful in identifying client strengths and in forming relationships that are safe and productive. As a result, individuals, couples and families reclaim and strengthen their resources and are able to move forward and be satisfied with their lives. Dr. Elez is professionally trained and experienced in several effective therapeutic modalities, including Self-Regulation Therapy (SRT), Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples, CBT and a number of Family Therapy and Systemic models.
Tanya completed her Ph.D in Counselling Psychology at the University of British Columbia, and she also holds a Master’s Degree in Psychology and a Master’s Degree in Marriage and Family Therapy. Over the past twenty years, she has worked with numerous clients, taught Master’s level counselling courses, and provided clinical supervision to new counsellors. She lives in New Westminster with her partner, 2 sons and 2 pets, and enjoys hiking, physical activity and spending time with friends.
Client fee individuals:$190.00 per session
Client fee couples/families:$190.00 per session