Sophia Van Vuuren
Areas of practice
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual
- Adolescent Issues
- Anger Management Issues
- Anxiety and/or Panic
- Attention Deficit Disorder - ADHD
- Bullying - School
- Child Stress and Trauma
- Grief and Loss - General
- Learning Disabilities
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues
- Parent/Teen Conflict
- Parenting Issues
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- ADD and ADHD Coping Strategies
- Child Centred Therapy
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT)
- Family Therapy
- Marriage & Couples Counselling
- Psycho-Educational Assessment
- Video Counselling
- Somatic Experiencing
Other languages spoken
Counselling practice website:www.sophiavanpsych.com
Sophia holds a Masters degree in Clinical Psychology and is a Registered Psychologist with the College of Psychologists in British Columbia, #1659.
She has worked in the mental health field as a Clinical Psychologist, treating adults,teens, children, families and couples. She has also been an educator, consultant and supervisor for mental health trainees for the past 25 years.
Sophia provides Psycho-Educational Assessment and Counselling to children, teens,students and adults with Learning Difficulties, ADHD, cognitive, social, emotional, behavioral and relationship problems.
She also has extensive training and experience in the treatment of Grief, Depression, Anxiety, Eating Disorders and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder due to abuse, motor vehicle accidents, violence or war trauma.
She has a client-centered, cognitive-behavioural, family systems, holistic approach to psychotherapy that empowers the client to utilize and develop their mind, heart, body and soul resources to restore their resilience and full potetial to embrace life. She is also trained and experienced in EMDR and Self-Regulation Therapy, Attachment Therapy, Emotional Focused Therapy and Developmental Couple Therapy.
She has worked with a range of clients from different cultural backgrounds.
Sophia also provides Cognitive Behaviour Therapy for clients with depression, anxiety grief and loss.
Sophia Van Vuuren holds a Masters degree in Clinical Psychology and is Registered as a Psychologist in British Columbia. She has worked in the field of Mental Health as a Clinical Psychologist, specializing in the treatment of PTSD, Abuse, Grief, Depression, Anxiety, Panic attacks and Eating Disorders. She has also been an Educator and Supervisor for students in the Master's Clinical Counselling training program for the past 25 years. As a Clinical Psychologist she has training and experience to work with client's of all age groups.
Sophia is also trained and experienced in the Psycho-Educational Assessment of Children, Teens, Students and Adults with Learning Disabilities, ADHD or ADD. With the knowledge of your own, or your child's learning style and learning obstacles, it is much easier to understand how to support your child in their educational career or to provide that support to yourself as an adult. Costs are covered by the client's Extended Health Insurance.
Sophia was trained in a Client-centered, Cognitive-Behavioural , Family systems, holistic, Solution Focused Model for Psychotherapy. She has applied her psychotherapeutic skills in an approach that empowers the client to utilize and develop their mind, heart, body and soul resources to overcome their cognitive, emotional, behavioral and relationship obstacles and restore their resiliency.
With her training in Clinical Psychology and extensive experience in mental health, human emotional suffering in different countries, she extended her training skills in 1996 to also specialize in the treatment for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. She guides the client with the help of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) techniques, Self- Regulation Therapy (SRT), or Play Therapy for children, to reactivate their full potential as human beings and restore their resilience. She provides a compassionate, accountable and confidential counselling service for Children, Teens,Students, Adults, Families and Groups.
The Cost of Psychotherapy and Psycho-Educational assessments is covered under every client's Private Extended Health Insurance
- Psycho-Educational Assessments for LD,ADHD,ADD
- Clinical assessment and treatment plan
- Play Therapy for children
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy
- Self-Regulation Therapy
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Therapy (EMDR- II)
- Emotional Focused Therapy
- Family Therapy
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (Motor vehicle accidents/environmental trauma)
- Family violence/Sexual abuse/Rape
- Anxiety/ Panic attacks/Phobia
- Work related stressors/ Pain management
- Suicidal behavior
- Relationship conflict
- Eating disorders
- Families in transition – immigration/divorce
- Special services for Children & Teens
- Psycho-Educational Assessment – Learning Difficulties, ADHD & ADD
- How to deal with bullies/anger problems
- Coaching children/teens/adults through parents' divorce
202-4420 Chatterton Way, Victoria, BC. V8X 5J2
Tel: (604) 377-6507 Fax:(778)778-440-8883
E-Mail: Please utilize the form on main page of this listing
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing-Level II Self-Regulation Therapy -Level II Developmental Couple Therapy-Level II
Client fee individuals:$190.00 per 50 min.session/Extended Health coverage
Client fee couples/families:$190.00 per 50 min. session/Extended Health coverage