Areas of practice
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual
- Addictions - Including Substances
- Anxiety and/or Panic
- COVID-19 Stress, Anxiety and Depression
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Brief Therapy
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT)
- Family Systems
- Humanistic Therapy
- Imago Relationship Therapy
- Marriage & Couples Counselling
- ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING
- Telephone Counselling
- Video Counselling
Counselling practice website:www.mindsighttherapy.ca
I specialize in individual counselling for anxiety, stress, depression, trauma or loss, anger and interpersonal issues. I also have extensive expertise in working with eating disorders, relationship dynamics, pain management and body image issues.
I am registered with the British Columbia Association of Clinical Counselors, a member of the Canadian Society of Clinical Hypnosis (BC), and the BC College of Teachers.
Coming from a person-centered theoretical orientation, I believe that every individual, if given warmth, encouragement, and the right resources and environment, has an innate ability to reach their full potential. Also, I believe that every person has an inherent ability to manage their emotions, relationships, and to problem solve. By considering all aspects of an individual, we can start the healing process from within thus helping individuals to live optimally.
Negative or limiting emotions or feelings, cognitions or thoughts, behaviors or actions result in limited choices and interfere with the quality of our life. We are emotional, cognitive and behavioral beings.
What brings about these limiting emotions, cognitions and behaviors is an out-dated APPRAISAL or interpretation of a particular stress stimulus or stressor. We can make the appraisal of stress in the following ways.
- Conscious and Rational- we may logically gather the evidence for and against to solve a problem or just go along intuitively.
- Conscious and Irrational-we may believe the gerbil is safe but still be terrified to touch it.
- Unconscious and Rational-our body at times make the decision that it is not safe and removes our hand from a hot surface before we are even aware.
- Unconscious and Irrational-we may not trust our spouse even though there is absolutely no reason to do so.
How do we change our outdated and limiting appraisals or interpretations to increase our capacity to make non-limiting choices?
- We must identify our consistent style of thinking, feeling, doing, coping and defending ourselves.
- We must be consciously aware of the content of what we are thinking.
- We must be consciously aware of the why or the function or our behaviors.
- We must have the TOOLS to increase our emotional, cognitive and behavioral competence.
I look forward to learning about your unique needs and assisting you with the tools you need to move forward in healing your greatest yourself.
- My primary approach is CBT, however I use other evidence based modalities to integrate both bottom up and top down approaches also.
Client fee individuals:$150.00
Client fee couples/families:$165.00