Areas of practice
- Personal Growth
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues
- Life Transitions
- LGBTQ Issues
- Job Transition
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Stress Management
- Self-Esteem Issues
- School/Work Adjustment
- Anxiety and/or Panic
- Gender Identity Issues
- Trauma Counselling
- Workplace Issues
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy
- Internal Family Systems
- Mindfulness approaches
- Narrative Therapy
- ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING
- Sensorimotor Psychotherapy
Counselling practice website:echocounselling.org
...Sharlene is currently taking new clients...
In person and online available.
My practice is here to help you to have honest conversations that start to uncover the areas in your life where you feel stuck or at a loss. Clients find that after only a few sessions they’re able to slow down difficult moments, identify what’s going on within them, and grow a sense of self-leadership in which there’s much more possibility and choice in how they live than it seemed. Some reasons to try therapy are:
- If you’ve gone through something traumatic or distressing, and want to understand and lessen its impacts on your life
- If you want to feel less self-blame and move toward a more generous view of yourself
- If you’re feeling hurt or frustrated with others and are looking for ways to have closer relationships while keeping your sense of integrity
- If you want to heal from past hurts and connect with others and yourself in a way that feels safer
- If you have difficulty making decisions and want to move from a place of doubt to self-trust
- If you want to explore transitions in identities or life paths in a nonjudgmental and reassuring environment
- If it seems that life has thrown you enough curveballs that you want to feel the sense of self you had before
I help my clients to tune into what strengths are already there that can be expanded upon, and also to what skills have historically helped them to get by that may not be useful anymore. What often comes out of our conversations is a felt shift in perspective, in which things seem less overwhelming, and there’s more of a sense of choice in how to respond to the world. My clients often find themselves connecting to a self that feels more authentic, and learning what it feels like to start to expand their capacity to cope with life’s stressors. I provide a reflective and encouraging space where clients can process difficult experiences and feelings in a way that feels healthy. My clients consistently describe feeling lighter and more capable after our sessions.
I have ten years of experience in the field of mental health and trauma, partly from my previous career as a Social Worker. You can trust that I have a solid understanding of the issues that people can face, and that I am passionate about helping people achieve their goals and live a more fulfilling life. I am a POC counsellor with a focus on creating safer therapy spaces for BIPOC and LGBTQ2SIA+ folks.
I am currently offering online and phone counselling. If you are uncertain about online counselling, I really recommend giving it a chance. Video calls can be as worthwhile as in-person counselling is, and often clients even prefer it over in-person meetings.
You can call or email me to book a free 20 minute consultation to ensure that I am the right fit for you. I usually respond within 1-2 business days.
Training & Workshops:
Please note I am a Trauma-Informed Stabilization Treatment™ practitioner in training. I have completed Level 1 of the training with Dr. Janina Fisher.
Trauma-Informed Stabilization Treatment, 12 hour, Level 1, Janina Fisher, Ph.D., Academy of Therapy Wisdom, in progress
Narrative Therapy 5-day Foundations Training, 2020
Accelerated Experiential Dynamic Psychotherapy 8 hour Skills Training, 2018
Mindfulness Based Somatic Therapy Workshop, 2018
Dialectical Behaviour Therapy Implementing Distress Tolerance Skills During a Crisis Workshop, Lifted Counselling, 2020
Introduction to Dialectical Behaviour Therapy, Dr. Michael Sheppard, 2018
Trauma Essentials, CAST Canada, 2016
Queer Competency Training, Qmunity, 2016
Indigenous Cultural Safety Training, Provincial Health Services Authority, 2015
Client fee individuals:135+ (50-min)