Areas of practice
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual
- Anger Management Issues
- Anxiety and/or Panic
- Attention Deficit Disorder - ADHD
- Grief and Loss - General
- Life Balance
- Life Transitions
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Professional Burnout
- Sexual Assault
- Stress Management
- Trauma Counselling
- Women's Issues
- Acceptance & Commitment Therapy
- ADD and ADHD Coping Strategies
- Adlerian Therapy
- Feminist Psychotherapy
- Humanistic Therapy
- Mindfulness approaches
- Narrative Therapy
- ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING
- Process Work
Other languages spoken
Counselling practice website:https://fieldworkcounselling.ca/team/sophia-mivasair/
I work with people seeking to build confidence, clarity, and calm in their lives. You might struggle to express yourself, and be understood in important relationships. You might be stuck on a treadmill of tired patterns, or caught in a state of endless overwhelm. You might find yourself burdened by the conflict, stress and unpredictability of a busy life. You might be haunted by injustice, of having been wronged, caught by painful memories and unable to carry on. You might struggle with a sharp inner critic, or an injured sense of worth. You might yearn for deeper connection – with yourself, or those you love.
If so, I hear you — know that you were never meant to do this alone!
My practice is rooted in the belief that we are built to heal, and that this potential is opened to us when we’re seen, heard, and accompanied by a trusted companion. I work with people of all backgrounds, and strive to build the space for us to appreciate you in all your intricacy: your softer side, your rougher edges, and your full, whole, and embodied self. My approach is focused first on collaboration and choice, placing you as the expert of your own experience. From this foundation we can locate what works best for you, pulling from evidenced and effective techniques to help you craft and shape a way of being that is fully conducive to the life you want. It’s hard work, but it’s also rewarding, and that much more so when you have the right support along the way.
You can use the "schedule an appointment" button at the bottom of this page to book a free, unhurried conversation with me. We'll talk about what you're experiencing, what you're hoping to build for yourself, and how we can work together to help you arrive there. Whatever brings us to speak, I'm looking forward to getting to know you, with all the rich complexity you bring to this world.
- Adult ADHD, ADD and neurodiversity: If you're experiencing difficulty starting what you need to do, finishing what you need to get done, or find yourself getting sidetracked midstream, you might be finding yourself feeling particularly frustrated. Organizing and prioritizing what needs to get done is a start, but often isn't enough. Working together, we can begin creating structured, orderly ways of approaching life to make it, and its daily tasks, more enjoyable and rewarding.
- Anxiety: Being in a constant state of inner turmoil and experiencing feelings of dread can have a debilitating impact on your day-to-day life. These struggles can in turn cause you feel confused, helpless, fearful, and out of control. Yet despite its impacts, anxiety is highly treatable. I am here to help you restore your sense of ease, explore your strengths, and master the tools to bring anxiety to rest.
- Depression: Having a hopeless or helpless outlook on life is one of the most troubling symptoms of depression. Feelings of sadness, worthlessness, and discontent can follow you around like a heavy cloud. You may also feel guilty, as though you are burdening others with your experience, or not meeting their expectations. Depression is also highly treatable, and I am here to help renew your sense of purposeful direction, energy, and connection to yourself and the world.
- Abuse, assault and violence: Having our safety threatened or compromised is a tremendously disruptive experience, with implications for our sense of self, and our capacity for trust and intimacy. Often the effects are far-reaching and long-lasting, extending well into new relationships, while playing out in our heads again and again. If you've experienced violence, abuse or an assault, we can work to help you make sense of the experience, lay responsibility where it rightfully belongs, restore your capacity for ease and re-establish faith in your right for safety.
- Grief and loss: Death is an inevitable part of life, but none of us is inherently equipped to understand or navigate it. This is especially true when we hold regrets about past interactions with a person, when we never realized the possibilities for our connection with them, or when we are distressed by the nature of a person's death. I see grief as a skill, one that we come to learn through careful reflection and attention to our own feelings and memories. Though we may not have opportunity to change the past, we can develop a new appreciation of it, and find a way of understanding a life in a way that brings comfort.
- Postpartum/perinatal depression: Welcoming a new child into this world is a momentous event, but that doesn't mean it feels that way for you. If you're experiencing sadness, confusion, or even anger surrounding the birth of your child, you may feel alone, unable to share your experience, and may feel added guilt for not sharing the feelings of joy that others often have for your pregnancy. I provide space for you to express yourself honestly and openly, while unpacking the complex nature of motherhood. Together, we can help you to balance the expectations and realities of your role as a mother, and uncover the strength to care for a new life. We can also work on helping you to communicate your needs, so that you can find added support from those you need it from the most.
- Life transitions: At some point in our lives, we all experience transitions — big and small, planned and unplanned. The process of letting go of the familiar and openly facing the future can affect your life in a significant way, and even adjusting to positive changes can cause significant stress. Such transformation may be scary and difficult, but also carries great possibility. Together, we can help you move confidently into that possibility, or more fully articulate what is needed for that confidence.
If you're curious to know more, or want to know how we could work together to address another area, please feel free to reach out.
Client fee individuals:$140