Areas of practice
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual
- Anger Management Issues
- Anxiety and/or Panic
- Child Behaviour
- Divorce and/or Separation
- Family Issues
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues
- Men's Issues
- Parent/Teen Conflict
- Personal Growth
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Self-Esteem Issues
- Stress Management
- Trauma Counselling
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Communication Skills Training
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy
- Emotion Focused Therapy
- Family Systems
- Marriage & Couples Counselling
- Satir Therapy
- Video Counselling
- Solution Focused Therapy
- Somatic Transformation
- Spiritual Counselling
Counselling practice website:www.counsellingandtherapyservices.com
Areas of Expertise:
- Relationship Healing
- Couples Treatment
- Parent and Child/Teen Relationships
- Men’s Issues
- Military and Veterans Transitions
- Anger Resolution
- PTSD and Trauma
- Family Issues
- Communication Skills
- Substance Abuse
- Teens and Children
- Parenting Skills
- Spiritual Issues
- Grief and Loss
- Anxiety and Depression
- Personal Growth
- Life Transitions
- Performance Enhancement (including corporate/business/NASCAR)
- International Corporate Consultations/Trainings
Clients say that as a result of seeing me, they experience themselves as having a renewed sense of purpose, direction, more freedom, peace, energy, vitality and a stronger connection to their own life force and better relationships.
I have extensive training and experience and am a Registered Clinical Counsellor (RCC), a Certified Canadian Counsellor (CCC) and a licensed Marriage, Family and Child Psychotherapist (USA- California, Washington, Montana) with over 18 years of experience working with individuals, families and children. My successful private practice, A Better Life through Psychotherapy and Healing, has successfully helped many hundreds of people, families and kids. I also can continue our process, in many cases, if you have to travel for work or move. I use Skype/Facetime (internet) technology to work with people all over the world.
Steven's best selling book, Leap, But How Will I Live, Eat or Pay for Gas? A Journey from Fear to Freedom can be found on Amazon or special ordered through your local book seller.
Steven has held past positions including: Military and Family Life Consultant for the Department of Defense (more than 23 military assignments all over the world), medical social worker, school counsellor, addictions counsellor, teaching parenting classes and graduate school psychology instructor. He has worked with people from a wide variety of cultures with diverse difficulties and circumstances.
Steven believes that problems are opportunities. Problems of all kinds, but especially those that occur between people create the best opportunities for everyone involved to grow and learn. This is something he has been privileged to have learned in his own life and through working with hundreds of clients over the past 18 years. He is trained in using the Human Validation Process Model developed by Virginia Satir as well as Therapeutic Enactment and Somatic Transformation all of which use experiential activities as the basis for healing. Using experientially-based interventions is an effective and lasting way to transform ideas (which are no longer needed or are harmful) and to begin creating new beliefs about one’s self, others and the context people find themselves in. This approach to healing means that movement and action are frequently included in sessions to create transformational processes which allow your natural life-force/spirit, freedom, peace, joy, abundance, and health to flow into a more powerful place in your life.
Steven’s approach has transformational change and life-force congruence as its main purpose and healing is often rapid and long lasting. You will find Steven approachable, humorous and effective in helping you get more of what you want out of your life.
Besides being certified by the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association, and registered by the BC Association of Clinical Counsellors, I am also a licensed Marriage, Family and Child Therapist (MFT) in the United States. This means obtaining a masters degree including a dissertation, more than 3000 supervised hours of experience followed by a successful passing of two state administered examinations, prior to being licensed. Make an informed choice! Most counsellors in Canada are only required to obtain only 100 supervised hours prior to opening their private practice and we don't even have licensure (we are working towards improving this system). Many of my clients tell me that they got more out of 1-2 sessions with me than they did in a year with other counsellors.
- Registered Clinical Counsellor (RCC) #13218
- Certified Canadian Counsellor (CCC) #5926
- Registered Provider for Crime Victim Assistance Program
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) #36736
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) #1412
- I have been trained (and internationally recognized) to the highest levels in the Human Validation Process Model of Virginia Satir. (aka Satir Therapy, Family Systems).
- Trained to the advanced level and recognized as a practitioner of Somatic Transformation-a science based (interpersonal, neuro-psycho physiology) treatment of both shock and relational trauma
- Received Civilian Medal for service above and beyond the call of duty, United States Army, Fort Stewart, GA
Client fee individuals:Made upon appointment/sliding scale
Client fee couples/families:Made upon appointment/sliding scale