Areas of practice
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual
- Anxiety and/or Panic
- Attention Deficit Disorder - ADHD
- Eating Disorders
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Trauma Counselling
- Acceptance & Commitment Therapy
- ADD and ADHD Coping Strategies
- Body Centred Therapy
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy
- Motivational Interviewing
- Narrative Therapy
- ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING
- Telephone Counselling
- Video Counselling
Counselling practice website:www.beckerburrows.com
I believe that my role as a counsellor involves walking alongside my clients while offering an objective and informed perspective. Because I often see people who are seeking change, my goal is to help my clients identify which patterns in their life are helping or hindering their attainment of the changes they desire. I believe that people are naturally adaptive, and psychological distress often occurs when our adaptations no longer work for us in a given situation. My therapeutic work often involves helping people identify the ways in which their experiences and relationships have influenced how they see and interact with the world, and assisting them in exploring new strategies for coping with their experiences in order to live a valued life.
Both my clinical work and research have focused on highlighting individual strengths while recognizing the systemic and contextual barriers that people encounter. I am currently completing my Ph.D in Counselling Psychology as a doctoral candidate at the University of British Columbia, where I am conducting research regarding Indigenous women’s career decision-making experiences.
My associates and I collaborate to offer psychoeducational assessments, and we are happy to serve Nanaimo and surrounding areas in this regard. Our approach to assessment is both diagnostic and problem-solving, in that the central aim is to help clients identify how they can better meet their educational, personal, and career-related goals within their own context.
My primary practice areas include:
· Mood and anxiety issues
· Eating disorders
· Obsessive-compulsive disorder
· Perinatal issues
· Relationship issues
· Psychoeducational assessment (under the supervision of a Registered Psychologist)
I recognize that finding a counsellor that is a good fit can be a process that demands a lot of resources- both time-wise and financially. I am happy to speak with prospective clients over the phone to determine whether my approach might work for you.
- Psychoeducational assessment: completed three doctoral-level courses and a 200-hour assessment practicum in cognitive and academic assessment.
Client fee individuals:$130 per session; sliding scale rates are available
Client fee couples/families:$150 per session