Areas of practice
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual
- Addictions - Including Substances
- Family Issues
- Grief and Loss - General
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues
- Trauma Counselling
- Adolescent Therapy
- Body Centred Psychotherapy
- Bodynamic Analysis
- Child Centred Therapy
- Critical Incident Stress Management
- Emotionally Focused Therapy - Individuals
- Family Therapy
- Gestalt Therapy
- Marriage & Couples Counselling
- Mindfulness approaches
- Relational Psychotherapy
- Traumatic Incident Reduction (TIR)
Counselling practice website:cdbwhaleypsychotherapy.com
We are all on our own individual, unique personal journey through life. There is no one right way to heal or one single approach to therapy. There are various issues that come up in life, from every day life stresses to unimaginable trauma. We all cope differently with what life has given us and heal in our own unique way.
I am a Vancouver based Counsellor and Psychotherapist in Private Practice. I am a Registered Social Worker (RSW) with the BC College of Social Workers, and have my Master of Social Work (MSW) from UBC; a Bachelor of Arts (BA), in Psychology; and a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW), both from McMaster University.
I work with all ages on any issues that are getting in the way of the client experiencing life to its fullest in the very personal way they want to live.
I offer in person, virtual, and telephone sessions.
I have over 19 years of experience offering short and long term counselling and psychotherapy to individuals, couples and families from a deeply compassionate, collaborative, client centred and relational perspective using various forms of therapy to empower clients to emotionally, physically, mentally and spiritually thrive.
My guiding principles of practice are safety, honesty, unconditional acceptance, inclusivity, empathy and an understanding that healing comes through connection.
Some of the areas I cover in my practice include:
Abuse - Emotional, Verbal, Physical, Sexual
Alcoholism and Substance Abuse/Use Issues
Borderline Personality Disorders
Child and Adolescent Stress and Anxiety
Elderly - Aging Issues
Gender Identity and Sexual Orientation
Grief and Loss
Medical and Health Issues
Obsessions and Compulsions (OCD)
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder/Critical Incident Stress Debriefings
Relationship Issues - Intimacy/Attachment
Self-Harm and Suicidal Ideation
Self-Worth and Esteem - Guilt/Shame
I believe in the mind/body connection and the healing power of relationships. My training in Somatic Psychotherapy has led me to a trauma informed, body centered approach with the understanding that the body holds the information we need to heal.
I draw additionally on resources which include; Bodynamics Somatic Developmental Psychology, Attachment Theory, Jungian Theory, Psychodynamic Therapy, Child Play Therapy, Transactional Analysis Therapy, Gestalt Therapy, Mindfulness, and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
Each session is tailored to where the client is at in the moment and from the belief that somewhere in all of us, no matter how deeply we have been wounded, we have the resources we need to heal. The aim is finding balance, not perfection, in order to live the gift of our lives with greater ease and peace.
Please feel free to call or email me to discuss any questions personally.
- Bodynamics; Somatic Developmental Psychology; completed Foundational Intensive training; Healing Developmental Disruptions, Bodynamic Institute, USA Currently in year 3 of 3 year Intensive Practitioner Training.
- Gestalt Therapy: one year advanced study, training and personal therapy, Western Institute of Gestalt Therapy
- Transactional Analysis: two years advanced study, training and personal therapy. International Transactional Analysis Association
- Redecision Therapy: advanced professional training and personal therapy with the Goulding Western Institute for Group and Family Therapy
Client fee individuals:$150.00 per hour (no GST)
Client fee couples/families:$175.00 per hour (no GST)