Areas of practice
- Addictions - Including Substances
- Anxiety and/or Panic
- Cancer Care and Support
- Career Issues
- Job Transition
- LGBTQ Issues
- Life Transitions
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues
- Men's Issues
- Stress Management
- Suicide Ideation / Survivor
- Trauma Counselling
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Emotion Focused Therapy
- Humanistic Therapy
- Mindfulness approaches
- Online / Virtual / Telehealth Counselling
- Spiritual Counselling
Counselling practice website:https://linktr.ee/colterlong
“Only in the darkness can you see the stars.” – Martin Luther King JR.
Are you looking for an alternative to traditional talk therapy? If you are interested in learning psychological tools or trying experiential methods, we can collaborate to design a program that targets your counselling goals.
A holistic approach to mental health suggests that the body, mind, heart, and spirit are always interacting with one another to create either positive or negative feedback loops. Starting with the mind and body, there are evidence-based Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy (CBT) tools that are highly effective at reducing anxiety and depression relatively quickly. We can explore how the nervous system responds to stress and replace unhelpful coping behaviours (substance use, codependency, procrastination, etc.) with healthier ones.
Once the body is more relaxed and the mind becomes clearer, environmental stressors can become more apparent. Whether there’s a conflict with work, relationships, or family – we can practice communication strategies to enhance your ability to express yourself more confidently and effectively.
When day-to-day life becomes more manageable, it can be an appropriate time to delve into the root causes of anxieties. In trauma therapy, we can explore how earlier life events may be re-emerging to cause distress as an adult. Processing and repairing these childhood wounds can prevent cycles of suffering from continuing.
For some of us, there may feel like there are deeper questions within that might be answered with alternative or spiritual methods of healing. We can use best clinical practices to plan safe and profound experiences that can be integrated through our therapy sessions to transform your insights into daily ways of being.
- CVAP Approved Therapist
- Not taking clients outside of Canada
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy: Interned with Fraser Health Authority to facilitate clinical individual and group CBT.
- Crisis Intervention & Suicide Prevention: Former staff member of the BC Crisis Intervention & Suicide Prevention Centre.
- Therapeutic Enactment: Interned at the UBC Center for Group Counselling and Trauma to facilitate experiential trauma therapy.
- Spiritually-Integrative Counselling: Is a member of Thrive Clinic's integrative team specializing in somatic-intuitive healing approaches (see website for info).
- LGBTQ-Informed Coaching: Provided life coaching for self-identified gay men at Vancouver's Health Initiative for Men.
Client fee individuals:$165 / 50 minutes