Areas of practice
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual
- Anxiety and/or Panic
- Chronic Pain
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Trauma Counselling
- Body Centred Therapy
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT)
- Energy Psychotherapy
- Marriage & Couples Counselling
- Mindfulness approaches
- ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING
- Relaxation Therapy
- Solution Focused Therapy
- Video Counselling
Counselling practice website:carolynheppnercounselling.com
Carolyn Heppner, B.A., M.Ed., RCC
Experience positive results much sooner than traditional therapy, through the use of modern techniques such as EMDR. I believe in providing practical, individually tailored and accessible tools, emotional support and deeper understanding you can take from our sessions and apply in real life in order to overcome anxiety, symptoms of trauma, relationship difficulties or other life challenges. If you are struggling you don’t have to do this alone.
I am a Registered Clinical Counsellor with a Master’s Degree in Counselling Psychology from UBC
Now offering VIDEO COUNSELLING. Many clients are not comfortable with in-person counselling at this time. I am offering an alternate option of video sessions to those individuals.
I have extensive experience assisting clients with:
- Trauma including including assault, domestic violence and the effects of childhood abuse/neglect
- Anxiety / Panic / Phobias
- Prenatal and Postpartum issues including anxiety, depression, loss and grief
- Couples Counselling including affairs/infidelity, intimacy, attachment issues, relationship enrichment as well as relationship transitions like new parenthood, empty nest/retirement, cohabitation and pre-marital counselling
I am a certified EMDR therapist and have advanced training plus extensive experience using EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) to treat a range of issues including Trauma, Anxiety, Phobias, Complicated Grief, Chronic pain, Addictions and more.
I also have assisted clients struggling with a range of other difficulties including but not limited to Stress, Life transitions, Loss/grief, Self Esteem, Identity (LGBTQ+ friendly) and Interpersonal/Relationship problems
When you feel safe, you can begin the journey of change and healing. When you feel encouraged and supported without judgment, you can continue creating the life you want and need. I provide a combination of practical tools and support in helping my clients find deeper understanding in order to allow for lasting change and resolution of their concerns. I have been told by clients I have a calming and genuine presence and they feel comfortable and safe early on.
I draw from various evidence based therapeutic methods to create a structure for counselling that fits your concerns and needs.
Mind-body approaches include:
- EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing)
- Relaxation / Visualization / Mindfulness
Conversational therapeutic approaches include:
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (Attachment based)
- Emotion Focused Therapy (EFT)
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Solution Focused Therapy
I can also incorporate Creative Therapies including art, writing or music.
Carolyn Heppner Counselling is conveniently located in downtown Maple Ridge. I have a counselling office space in a wellness center that includes Massage Therapy, Yoga, and other wellness practitioners. It is a serene environment and a fantastic place to release stress and take care of your mind, body and soul.
I offer a free 15-minute no cost/no obligation phone consultation where we can explore your needs and goals for counselling and see if I am the right counsellor for you. I'd love to speak with you.
Why try video counselling with Carolyn?
Clients who have not participated in video counselling before often report concerns or hesitation in using this method. Upon commencing offering counselling virtually I felt quite hesitant but due to COVID-19 restrictions I wanted to offer my clients a way to continue working with me.
My style of therapy is very relational and I have always relied on visual clues in order to connect with my clients so I wondered how effective video counselling would be. Much to my (and my clients) surprise, current clients are reporting they find video sessions have been as effective as in person counselling. Being able to see each other in video format allows for a similar connection to in-person appointments. Also, powerful counselling tools such as EMDR can be used effectively in video sessions, not just in person. Clients also enjoy more availability for appointment bookings, for example more timeslots and dates available.
- EMDR Certification through EMDRIA (EMDR International Association)
- EMDR Certification goes beyond what is required to become an EMDR practitioner. Certification through EMDR's international body ensures sufficient training, supervision and experience.