Areas of practice
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual
- Anxiety and/or Panic
- Grief and Loss - General
- Intimacy Issues
- Men's Issues
- Personal Growth
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Self-Esteem Issues
- Women's Issues
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Integrative Psychotherapy
- Psychoanalytic Therapy
- Psychodynamic Therapy
Counselling practice website:https://therapynorthvancouver.ca/
Dr. Murray is a psychoanalyst and Registered Clinical Counsellor who has been in private practice since 2013. He practices in North Vancouver at the North Shore Therapy Clinic and online. He often works with:
- young adults
- middle-aged adults
- university and college students
As a psychoanalyst, he helps people thoughtfully work through complicated aspects of their personal lives and relationships. Psychoanalytic therapies make use of an exploratory approach in which solutions emerge over time as we get to know more about what you are like as a unique individual. This is to avoid imposing pre-given or over-simplifying solutions to your problems.
Themes that are addressed in therapy can include:
- childhood memories
These themes are often found to lie at the root of longstanding distressing symptoms, such as depression and anxiety.
Dr. Murray also offers cognitive-behavioral (CBT) treatment, an approach to therapy that helps people to work with “thinking traps” and initiate behavioral exposure strategies to help with specific psychological symptoms.
In his practice he specializes in therapeutic processes that aim at suitable depth to address longstanding patterns and allow for lasting changes. People seen in Dr. Murray's practice are offered dedicated appointment times at least once weekly for the duration of the therapy.
During the assessment phase, we will work collaboratively to develop an initial plan for therapy that makes use of one or both of these approaches. This will take into account how long you have been struggling with your concerns and whether you have tried any counselling or therapy in the past.
When you're choosing a therapist, a first step is to get a sense of their approach to helping people with your concerns. A free telephone or video consultation is offered so that we can start the conversation and you can make an informed decision.
Bradley Murray's Professional Designations:
- Psychoanalyst (FIPA), Fellow of the International Psychoanalytical Association & Member of the Canadian Psychoanalytic Society
- Registered Clinical Counsellor (RCC), Member of the British Columbia Association of Clinical Counsellors
- Canadian Certified Counsellor (CCC), Canadian Counselling & Psychotherapy Association
Education and Clinical Training:
- IPA/CPS Accredited 4-Year Psychoanalytic Training (Toronto Institute of Psychoanalysis)
- MEd, Counselling Psychology (UBC)
- BPhil, DPhil, Philosophy (Oxford)
- Psychology Program, University of Guelph-Humber
- Advanced Training Program in Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy, Toronto Psychoanalytic Society
- Department of Philosophy, University of British Columbia