Addictions - Gambling Counsellors
Addictions - Gambling
Gambling addiction, as other addictions, starts innocently and escalates to uncontrollable levels. Whether the habit involves online gambling or casino games, it can be harmful and lead to financial and relationship ruin. Gambling addiction can turn a very honest person into someone who steals money to fund the habit. Like other addictions, gambling addiction features a lack of self-control which results in a lack of control in various other areas of a person's life. Recognising the danger signs and acknowledging the problem is the first step to healing.
Gambling addiction is an invisible disease, in the sense that there are no physical symptoms. The first sign of gambling addiction is the urge to gamble, despite the desire to quit. Most problem gamblers will deny or trivialize their addiction. However, they will often sneak around to feed their addiction, or lie about it. The condition affects their loved ones, from whom they will usually withdraw.
If you feel the need to hide your gambling habits, or lie about it, or if you want to stop gambling, but can't, you may have a gambling addiction. It's common for gamblers to want to up bets to win back their lost money, and to want to gamble even when there is no money left.
Psychotherapists offer a range of psychodynamic therapies to deal with uncontrollable, self-destructive and impulsive behaviors, including gambling addiction. Cognitive-behavioral therapy has been found to be effective in dealing with gambling addiction but therapists often use other approaches as well. The therapists in this directory use a range of different approaches, including counselling, peer support, self-help programs, and step-based programs.
If you need a counsellor or psychologist to help you address the effects of gambling addiction, you can search the directory below to find a professional with the approach best suited to your situation.
Note: You may narrow your search by selecting more than one filter below.
- (-) Remove Addictions - Gambling filterAddictions - Gambling
- Addictions - Including Substances (2)Apply Addictions - Including Substances filter
- Addictions - Online Gaming (1)Apply Addictions - Online Gaming filter
- Anxiety and/or Panic (2)Apply Anxiety and/or Panic filter
- Depression (2)Apply Depression filter
- Family Conflict (1)Apply Family Conflict filter
- Family Issues (1)Apply Family Issues filter
- Grief and Loss - General (1)Apply Grief and Loss - General filter
- Life Transitions (1)Apply Life Transitions filter
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues (2)Apply Marriage and/or Relationship Issues filter
- Parenting Issues (1)Apply Parenting Issues filter
- Personal Growth (1)Apply Personal Growth filter
- Stress Management (1)Apply Stress Management filter
- Trauma Counselling (1)Apply Trauma Counselling filter
- Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (1)Apply Acceptance & Commitment Therapy filter
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) (2)Apply Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) filter
- Communication Skills Training (1)Apply Communication Skills Training filter
- Cross Cultural Therapy (1)Apply Cross Cultural Therapy filter
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (1)Apply Dialectical Behaviour Therapy filter
- EMDR (1)Apply EMDR filter
- Marriage & Couples Counselling (2)Apply Marriage & Couples Counselling filter
- Motivational Interviewing (2)Apply Motivational Interviewing filter
- Narrative Therapy (1)Apply Narrative Therapy filter
- ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING (2)Apply ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING filter
- Psycho-Educational Groups (1)Apply Psycho-Educational Groups filter
- Solution Focused Therapy (1)Apply Solution Focused Therapy filter
- Telephone Counselling (1)Apply Telephone Counselling filter
- Video Counselling (2)Apply Video Counselling filter