Counselling Vancouver - Men's Issues Counsellors, Psychologists, Therapists in Vancouver, West End
For centuries, men were defined as warriors who were responsible for providing and protecting their families, tribes and communities. Those restraining limitations that were imposed by cultural traditions limited men as far as emotions are concerned.However, modern psychology has rediscovered the differences between men and women and the role of male emotions, relationship dynamics and behaviour in men's issues.
The expectations and demands of our new modern world result in increasing stress levels, often related to relationships and work. Symptoms of male issues that are commonly seen in therapists' offices, include stress, anger, addiction, depression, relationship issues, and work adjustment issues.
A large percentage of men feel that they are inadequate in relationships and at work, and this leads to negative emotional states, shame and fear. These emotions usually stem from negative messages at home and at work. It is harder than ever for men to fulfill their traditional roles, as being the sole bread winner is unrealistic in today's economy, and more men are staying home while women are sole breadwinners.
Traditional roles, particularly in men who were predominantly raised by women, dictate that men are not supposed to show certain emotions. Men who feel the need for nurturance, feel ashamed at their display of emotion and vulnerability. If he experienced childhood abuse, or was raised by an overprotective mother, he may become excessively angry or hurt at perceived criticism, complaints or insults.
Men often perceive asking for help as shameful, or a sign of weakness. Therapy for men's issues was designed for men to vocally express their problems, in individual counselling, couples counselling or group therapy settings.
If you are looking for a counsellor or psychologist who offers men's issues to help with your stress and related issues you may want to search the directory to find a professional whose approach will suit you best.
Note: You may narrow your search by selecting more than one filter below.
- (-) Remove Vancouver filterVancouver
- Abbotsford (2)Apply Abbotsford filter
- Bowen Island (2)Apply Bowen Island filter
- Burnaby (7)Apply Burnaby filter
- Chilliwack (1)Apply Chilliwack filter
- Coquitlam (2)Apply Coquitlam filter
- Courtenay (1)Apply Courtenay filter
- Fort St John (1)Apply Fort St John filter
- Kelowna (5)Apply Kelowna filter
- Langley (3)Apply Langley filter
- Maple Ridge (2)Apply Maple Ridge filter
- Nanaimo (4)Apply Nanaimo filter
- New Westminster (1)Apply New Westminster filter
- North Vancouver (7)Apply North Vancouver filter
- Port Coquitlam (1)Apply Port Coquitlam filter
- South Surrey (2)Apply South Surrey filter
- Squamish (2)Apply Squamish filter
- Sunshine Coast (2)Apply Sunshine Coast filter
- Surrey (11)Apply Surrey filter
- Vernon (2)Apply Vernon filter
- Victoria (5)Apply Victoria filter
- West Vancouver (5)Apply West Vancouver filter
- White Rock (1)Apply White Rock filter
- (-) Remove Men's Issues filterMen's Issues
- Anxiety and/or Panic (1)Apply Anxiety and/or Panic filter
- LGBTQ Issues (1)Apply LGBTQ Issues filter
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues (1)Apply Marriage and/or Relationship Issues filter
- Perfectionism (1)Apply Perfectionism filter
- Personal Growth (1)Apply Personal Growth filter
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (1)Apply Post Traumatic Stress Disorder filter
- Self-Esteem Issues (1)Apply Self-Esteem Issues filter
- Sexuality (1)Apply Sexuality filter
- Trauma Counselling (1)Apply Trauma Counselling filter