Family Violence Solution Focused Therapy
If you or your children are in immediate danger or need urgent medical attention, contact the police or ambulance services by calling 911 or the emergency number for your community.
Family violence or domestic violence negatively impacts on families and the individuals who form part of it. It is one of the most common reasons why the average North American women aged younger than fifty seeks emergency medical care.
Domestic violence includes a single incident of pushing a close family member around, or slapping them. However, family violence can also be much more severe, and in some cases even fatal. It includes repeated incidents of violent outbursts, and could result in homicide. It is much more common than most people want to believe, and it can quickly escalate without intervention.
Family violence usually starts out with controlling behaviours, in which the abusive spouse will make all the decisions, while isolating the victim. There will be verbal abuse and threats. The abuse usually works in cycles where arguments and threats will start causing tension before the violence takes place. The violence will generally become more severe as time goes by. Afterwards, the couple will reunite as the perpetrator apologises profusely and makes promises that it will never happen again. However, the cycle will repeat until the victim finds help.
Unfortunately, victims are generally to afraid to seek help, and that's why they usually stay in abusive relationships. They may experience severe post-traumatic stress disorder, fear, low-self-esteem and abandonment issues that can impact on all areas of their lives and help is necessary. Therapy is a potent tool to help facilitate healing in children who have experienced family violence.
If you are looking for a counsellor or psychologist who offers therapy to address family violence issues you may want to search the directory to find a professional whose approach will suit you best. Remember, if there is any immediate danger seek emergency assistance first.
Note: You may narrow your search by selecting more than one filter below.
- (-) Remove Family Violence filterFamily Violence
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual (1)Apply Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual filter
- Addictions - Including Substances (1)Apply Addictions - Including Substances filter
- Addictions - Pornography (1)Apply Addictions - Pornography filter
- Adolescent Issues (1)Apply Adolescent Issues filter
- Anger Management Issues (2)Apply Anger Management Issues filter
- Anxiety and/or Panic (1)Apply Anxiety and/or Panic filter
- Depression (2)Apply Depression filter
- Family Conflict (1)Apply Family Conflict filter
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues (2)Apply Marriage and/or Relationship Issues filter
- Men's Issues (1)Apply Men's Issues filter
- Parenting Issues (1)Apply Parenting Issues filter
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (1)Apply Post Traumatic Stress Disorder filter
- Stress Management (1)Apply Stress Management filter
- Trauma Counselling (1)Apply Trauma Counselling filter
- Women's Issues (1)Apply Women's Issues filter
- Workplace Issues (1)Apply Workplace Issues filter
- (-) Remove Solution Focused Therapy filterSolution Focused Therapy
- Adolescent Therapy (1)Apply Adolescent Therapy filter
- Brief Therapy (1)Apply Brief Therapy filter
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) (2)Apply Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) filter
- Communication Skills Training (2)Apply Communication Skills Training filter
- Critical Incident Stress Management (1)Apply Critical Incident Stress Management filter
- Emotionally Focused Therapy - Individuals (1)Apply Emotionally Focused Therapy - Individuals filter
- Feminist Psychotherapy (1)Apply Feminist Psychotherapy filter
- Gottman Method Couples Therapy (1)Apply Gottman Method Couples Therapy filter
- Humanistic Therapy (1)Apply Humanistic Therapy filter
- Marriage & Couples Counselling (2)Apply Marriage & Couples Counselling filter
- Mindfulness approaches (1)Apply Mindfulness approaches filter
- Visualization (1)Apply Visualization filter