Areas of practice
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual
- Gender Identity Issues
- LGBTQ Issues
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Trauma Counselling
- Body Centred Psychotherapy
- Feminist Psychotherapy
- Sensorimotor Psychotherapy
Counselling practice website:www.vanessafernando.com
I work primarily with folks who have experienced trauma, including sexual assault; intimate partner violence; childhood abuse; and/or the impacts of systemic oppression (such as racism, ableism, transphobia and homophobia). In our work together, we frequently explore themes such as understanding, creating, and maintaining boundaries; unpacking patterns and cycles of abuse in relationships; increasing coping, grounding, and emotional regulation skills; expanding internal and external resources; getting to know different parts of self and increasing internal cooperation; and working on deepening connections in relationships.
Everyone will approach situations in their own way, based on a complex interplay of personal, historical, intergenerational and societal factors. I see my role as a counsellor as that of the grounded witness: someone who can be alongside you, offering potential strategies and opportunities for deeper reflection, with you always in the driver's seat.
My approach to counselling is:
- collaborative (which means that I respect your innate wisdom around what growth means, or looks like);
- anti-oppressive (looking at the impact of systemic oppression on daily life, including mental health and wellness); and
- somatically oriented (using directed mindfulness to deepen your understanding of your mind/body).
Client fee individuals:120