Areas of practice
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual
- Anxiety and/or Panic
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Self-Esteem Issues
- Trauma Counselling
- Women's Issues
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Feminist Psychotherapy
- Mindfulness approaches
- Narrative Therapy
- Solution Focused Therapy
Counselling practice website:www.inouyecounselling.com
Hi, I’m Sherri. People come to see me for a variety of reasons but ultimately they are looking to experience life differently. You may be struggling with current life challenges, living with the effects of painful past experiences, or feeling stuck and unhappy in your life. Whatever is going on with you, you don’t have to face it on your own. Change is easier with support. I bring my experience and training to our sessions with respect and curiosity for your intuition and knowledge about what you need. One thing I have learned is that we cannot always “talk” or “think” our way to feeling better or making desired changes (especially when it comes to trauma because traumatic experiences are held in our bodies as well as our minds). Therefore, I use mind-body approaches with therapeutic conversations in my practice so we can holistically address what brings you to therapy.
- Deepening your understanding of yourself.
- Gaining more knowledge of the problems you are facing and shifting how you respond and relate to them.
- Understanding, challenging and transforming limiting beliefs that may be interfering with how you want to engage with yourself, your world and the people in it.
- Exploring choices and possibilities. Clarifying your intentions for your life and making a plan to help you move forward.
- Honouring and accessing your strengths, values and wisdom as resources for healing, growth and change.
I appreciate the opportunity to work with women. I understand the high potential for social and emotional stress as we face intense pressure to look, act and live according to culturally determined ideals. These impossible standards related to appearance, career, family, home and relationships leave many women feeling like they don’t measure up and limit their freedom to be who they want to be. While our work won’t necessarily change the expectations placed on us or the realities of the world in which we need to navigate, we can hope to reduce the harmful impacts these have on you and strengthen your power and sense agency in your life.
I work within a feminist anti-oppression framework recognizing that the issues that bring women to therapy are often a result of, or response to, their experience in an oppressive society.
I support women with:
- Connecting to what they value and believe. Distinguishing between what society tells them to be and what they truly want for themselves.
- Developing healthy and effective coping-strategies to better manage life challenges and feel more in control.
- Nurturing feelings of self-acceptance and rejecting the demands of perfectionism.
- Healing from the experiences of trauma. Reclaiming their lives and sense of self.
- Having healthy and respectful relationships. Effectively expressing to others what they need and want. Boundaries.
- Listening to their bodies. Learning to safely connect with sensations and emotions. Understanding what is happening inside.
I believe we all have the capacity for healing, growth and change. When you are ready, I invite you to contact me and begin this process.
Client fee individuals:$110 per one hour session. Sliding scale available.