Rosalyn Best Clark
Areas of practice
- Cancer Care and Support
- Death and Dying
- Eldercare Issues
- Family Issues
- Grief and Loss - General
- Life Transitions
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues
- Personal Growth
- Pre-Marital Counselling
- Professional Burnout
- Sleep Difficulties-Adults
- Trauma Counselling
- Women's Issues
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT)
- Family Therapy
- Gottman Method Couples Therapy
- Group Therapy
- Marriage & Couples Counselling
- Mindfulness approaches
- Psycho-Educational Groups
- Somatic Experiencing
- Telephone Counselling
- Video Counselling
Other languages spoken
Counselling practice website:rosbestcounselling.com
Rosalyn Best, MoC, RCC #8656.
Ros Best is passionate about counselling because she has so often witnessed its transformative power. She offers couples counselling, and counselling for life transitions, trauma, cancer, grief and loss, and healthy aging. Ros sees people’s concerns through an attachment lens. How do we refashion our relationships to foster strong emotional bonds?
- In Emotionally Focussed Couple Therapy (EFT), Ros creates emotional safety for the couple, slowing partners down to focus underlying meaning and emotions, and has partners tell each other their meanings. Partners notice the bonding effect right away. Topics we can discuss: The relationship, sex, trauma, addictions, affairs, children, finances, moving...
- Using the Gottman Method Couples Therapy, Ros facilitates partners bonding over therapeutic exercises to heal fights, share dreams, and arrive at compromises. Partners build their emotional vocabulary, speak their feelings and needs, summarize their partner’s concerns, take responsibility for their part in a conflict, and plan to avoid repeating the cycle. Ros assists partners to speak their needs without criticism, defensiveness, contempt or stonewalling so that partners get their needs met.
- Using Gottman’s Bringing Baby Home, Ros helps couples prepare for and adjust to the arrival of their baby.
- Family members notice their own and others’ emotions to better understand their own needs and those being expressed by other family members. They get curious about behaviours that signal trouble – what is the precursor, what is the purpose of that behaviour? Ros may contextualize some conflicts by explaining the physiological changes across the lifespan.
(Individual) Trauma treatment…
- is most efficiently approached through EMDR rather than Talk Therapy.
- You do not need to relive your story.
- You will remember the memory but without disturbance.
Individual Counselling often requires talking about what is happening. Talk with Ros about:
- Retirement/ Life Transitions/ Professional Burnout
- Your relationship once the kids have moved out.
- Who am I now, without my career? Who are my people? What is my legacy?
- Divorce. Starting all over again at this age. So many emotions and decisions…
- Dread at the thought of work. You fight panic. Help!?
- Cancer, Grief and Loss
- Information about cancer can be powerful.
- Talking about your cancer is crucial. Or rather, talking about meaning and hope, legacy and fears. Now is the time to be selfish, to take care of your needs.
- Grief – at the specific loss, and at the loss of a dream you didn't know you had. To acknowledge your loss is to honour the loss and your humanity.
Ros helps clients with these and many other issues such as anxiety, depression, aging, job loss, thriving in the presence of disabilities, and identity issues.
Ros knows how much courage it takes to come to therapy and do the work. Ros is committed to supporting you to grow in the ways you always wanted. Call now!
Ros is a Registered Clinical Counsellor, no.8656.
Ros has been a lifelong student of people, culture and history. Ros noticed the importance of the stories we tell about our lives, how these shape what we feel is possible, and how we understand belonging, attachment and success. Some of our stories served us well in the past, but now get in our way. The good news? We’re not stuck with our limiting old stories.
Ros came to counselling as a second profession, in mid-life. Why? Because she discovered that counselling is the best game in town. Ros gets to facilitate couples strengthening their bond rather than ending their relationship in failure. She can assisthelp people release their anxiety, depression, trauma and fear. She can draw out of people their best selves, their hunger for healing, their drive to be creative, to belong, to use their strengths and skills for their family and community. And as she works with each client, Ros' heart grows and grows.
Ros is truly honoured to be a witness to people’s journeys, and help them make sense of their lives.
Ros' Core Beliefs
- All humans have the capacity for personal growth and hope
- Conflict, trauma and emotional pain are rooted in beliefs about our relationships
- Humans long to belong, to have a role, and most especially to have a safe, secure, trusting, committed bond with their partner
- Humility is helpful. Love is Ros' best heart-space. Gratitude opens Ros up to the miracles of the day.
- By contributing to healthy couple relationships, Ros is contributing to a healthier society, which we need desperately.
I draw inspiration from such authors as Brené Brown (The Gifts of Imperfection and Daring Greatly), Sue Johnson (Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love and Created for Connection), Martin Seligman (Flourish and Learned Optimism), Gordon Neufeld (Making Sense of Anxiety in Children and Youth), and Louann Brizendine (The Female Brain and The Male Brain).
Courses that changed my world recently were: Gottman Method Couples Counselling Level 3, EFT Couples Therapy Externship in New York with Sue Johnson, EMDR, and Attachment-Based Advanced EMDR with Andrew Leeds, The Essentials of Dementia Care and Putting on an Alzheimer Cafe with Dr. Gemma Jones. The conferences that enriched me most were the Evolution of Psychotherapy (2009, 2013, 2017), where I heard Yalom, Seligman, Johnson, the Gottmans, Francine Shapiro, Kay Jamison, Diane Ackerman, Marsha Linehan, Christine Padesky, three generations of Becks, Amen, and many, many more; Mindsight (Daniel Siegal); Mindfulness-Based Art Therapy (Margaret & Brian Callahan); and the annual BC School Counsellors’ Association, where I heard Stuart Shenker. We are so lucky to be living in a time where brain research is opening up the fields of counselling and psychotherapy at breakneck pace!
- Please give Ros a call (778-834-1867) for an initial conversation.
- If it seems like a good fit, you and Ros will schedule the first appointment.
- To save time in session, please print off and fill in the appropriate Intake and Informed Consent Form (for Couples, for Family Counselling, for Individuals) from Ros' website (rosbestcounselling.com).
- Ros and you will review the form, informed consent, and the counselling fee during the first session.
Benefits and Risks of Therapy:
- According to research, counselling is at least as efficacious as doctor-prescribed medications in the treatment of depression and anxiety, and counselling benefits remain after treatment has concluded.
- Individuals, you will feel heard and valued, will catch up with your inner wisdom, will sense a ‘way forward’ and feel less trapped, more at peace.
- Couples, you will be less at risk for heart attacks, and
- You will develop a more profound and meaningful connection with your partner (or realize that you and your partner are not open to developing a secure bond together).
- You will get to know yourself, your body and your emotions much more deeply.
- Counselling does require an investment of time, emotional energy, and finances;
- You may feel triggered, and feel worse before you feel better.
- It is important for us to consider if now is the right time for counselling.
- Also, clients should know that psychotherapy is contraindicated when the client is under the influence of alcohol and some drugs.
We will review the limits of confidentiality – that I must reach out for help if you indicate the intention to harm yourself or others, that I must report suspected child or elder abuse, and that my Process Notes can be subject to subpoena. All other communication shall be kept strictly confidential. If I am to collaborate with your doctor, I will need your written and specific permission. I do not join my clients on social media, in consideration of the limits of confidentiality.
- Fee payment is accepted by cash, e-transfer, or cheque, payable to Rosalyn Best.
- Individual Talk Therapy sessions: $140/(AM + afternoon)60 minute session.
- Individual EMDR Trauma Therapy sessions: $140/60 minute session, or preferrably, $210/90 minute session.
- Couple or Family Therapy: $240/90 minute session, or $390/three hour session.
- People With Disabilities, please ask about Ros' sliding fee scale.
- Please be sure to avoid NSF cheques, as they will incur a $40 fee, in addition to the cost of the therapy.
- Cancellations must be made at least 24 hours before the scheduled session, or a $60 fee will be charged. Sessions cannot be extended due to late arrival; this would be unfair to the following client.
Scheduling Sessions: To accommodate people’s work schedules, Ros schedules counselling sessions on Tuesday (AM, Afternoon), Wednesday (Afternoon , evening), Thursday (AM, Afternoon, Early Evening) and Friday (Flex scheduling). Established clients are welcome to book in person in advance, and use text or email to indicate scheduling problems. I will respond to emails or calls generally within 24 hours.
- Couples: Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy: Core Skills, EFT & Sex, EFT & Addictions, Emotionally Focused Therapy for Individuals (EFIT Level 2).
- Gottman Couples Counselling Level 3 & Bringing Baby Home
- For Trauma: EMDR, Attachment-Based EMDR; Somatic Experiencing (1 yr of training, "Beginner" Level2)
- Mindfulness-Based Art Therapy (3 trainings), Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction.
- Certified Adlerian Therapist. Also, Death & Dying (SFU). Essentials of Dementia Care. Running an Alzheimer Cafe
Client fee individuals:$189 per 60 minute hour (GST included)
Client fee couples/families:$330.75 per 90 minute session (GST included).