Areas of practice
- Anxiety and/or Panic
- Cross Cultural Issues
- Intimacy Issues
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues
- Self-Esteem Issues
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Mindfulness approaches
- Psychodynamic Therapy
- Relational Psychotherapy
- Sex Therapy
I see clients virtually and in person who are looking for assistance with
- Sexual concerns. Difficulties with arousal, desire, erectile function, ejaculation, orgasm, sexual shame and ways to preserve intimacy following physical changes due to a chronic health or medical condition
- Non sexual concerns. Anxiety, depression, emotion regulation, traumatic stress, intergenerational trauma, bullying, self-esteem, grief, acculturation, adjusting to major life transitions, health care burn out and compassion fatigue
- Navigating aspects of identity and relationships. Cultural and family of origin expectations for South Asian and Middle Eastern communities, particularly first generation status individuals
- Couples sex therapy. Enhancing sexual and non sexual intimacy
As both a therapist and researcher, I aim to respectfully address the dynamic and lived experiences of those who may be struggling with a history of trauma, sexual distress or intimacy related concerns.
I often work with individuals who present well on the surface, seem completely put together when they want to be, and whose problems are not always apparent to others. While things might appear to be going well on the outside, privately they are hurting. Sometimes the source of distress is clearly known, other times it has yet to be discovered.
Drawing from evidence-based treatment strategies, the theoretical orientations that I use to guide my work include cognitive behavioral therapy, psychodynamic therapy and aspects of mindfulness therapy. I bring my real self into the room in a warm, honest, supportive and direct way. It’s my belief that therapy should be empowering and promote lasting changes not only in symptom relief but also in self-discovery, resilience, and personal growth.
I am a registered clinical counsellor with the BC Association of Clinical Counsellors. I hold a dual masters’ degree in mental health and psychological counseling from Columbia University in New York City and have received advanced training in trauma and multicultural competence.
In addition to my graduate training, I spent 6 years working in sexual health research at the BC Centre for Sexual Medicine, the UBC Sexual Health Lab and the Multidisciplinary Vulvodynia Program at Vancouver General Hospital. I am also a clinical instructor with the MD Undergraduate Program, in the Faculty of Medicine at the University of British Columbia.
Outside of sexual health, my background includes extensive work in addictions, trauma, forensic populations, and the unique experiences of multicultural and first generation status individuals. I have co-authored and presented original research throughout Canada, Israel and the USA on topics related to genital pain conditions, low sexual desire, traumatic stress, various forms of violence against women and the unique experiences of asylum seekers.
My clinical experience over the past decade includes work in private practice, correctional settings, hospitals, and community-based agencies. Discussing trauma or intimate concerns isn't always easy but I’m here to make it safe. Whatever you're facing, we'll work collaboratively and without judgment.
Client fee individuals:200 plus GST per 50 minute session
Client fee couples/families:200 plus GST per 50 minute session