Areas of practice
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual
- Addictions - Pornography
- Borderline Personality Disorder
- Dissociative Disorders
- First Nations Issues
- LGBTQ Issues
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Body Centred Psychotherapy
- Cross Cultural Therapy
- Integrative Psychotherapy
- Mindfulness approaches
- Narrative Therapy
- Psychodynamic Therapy
- Shame Counselling & Therapy
- Solution Focused Therapy
Counselling is a profound collaboration between you and your counsellor to create a safe relational space in which you can engage in radical acts of both change and self-acceptance.
I offer clinical counselling to adults with issues ranging from single, life-changing events to chronic or persistent issues related to surviving childhood neglect and sexualized child abuse. I have extensive experience assisting individuals overcome the dissociative coping strategies and defensive attachment behaviours which, while highly adaptive to overwhelming childhood circumstances, tend to reduce adaptability and undermine well-being long after the historical challenges have gone.
In addition, I work with individuals seeking assistance with LGBT2SQ adjustment/acceptance/relationship issues.
My office is located in the Comox Valley, in the ‘Tin Town’ neighbourhood of Courtenay.
• Masters Degree in Clinical Counselling (City University – Vancouver)
• Registered Clinical Counsellor (BC Association of Clinical Counsellors)
• Indigenous Cultural Safety Certificate (Approved counselling provider for FNHA)
• Effective counselling with adult survivors of childhood trauma (sexualized abuse, physical abuse, and neglect)
• Extensive training and experience in treating trauma and dissociative disorders
• Strong aptitude for cross-cultural counselling
• Ease in establishing respectful relationships with marginalized individuals
• Approved Crime Victims Assistance Program counsellor (CVAP)
• Approved Residential Historical Abuse Program counsellor (RHAP)
• Training and experience in offering clinical consultation for mental health providers
My approach is inspired by Collaborative and Narrative therapies as well as body/mind, emotionally focused, and attachment-oriented therapies. A thirty year history of Buddhist mindfulness practice also influences my counselling approach. My on-going Professional Development is focused on attachment theory-inspired therapies, innovations in working with post-traumatic stress disorder, dissociative disorders, and interpersonal neurobiology. My monthly clinical consultations focus mostly on understanding the psychodynamics underpinning session work and preserving the highest ethical standards of practice.
• As my practice schedule is quite full these days, if I am available at all, it can only be for 1x/month counselling.
• I do not feel sufficiently trained to work with couples, and as such only offer psycho-educational sessions, when requested, to help a partner understand the dynamics of attachment difficulties, trauma or dissociation.
• I am available for clinical consultations for trained mental health providers.
Client fee individuals:$110/ 1.5 hour
Client fee couples/families:$120/1.5 hour