Kiilea Saunders Mason
Areas of practice
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual
- Anger Management Issues
- Anxiety and/or Panic
- Attention Deficit Disorder - ADHD
- Child Behaviour
- Child Development
- Child Stress and Trauma
- Divorce and/or Separation
- Family Conflict
- Family Issues
- Gender Identity Issues
- Parenting Issues
- Sleep Difficulties-Children
- ADD and ADHD Coping Strategies
- Body Centred Therapy
- Child Centred Therapy
- Expressive Arts Therapies
- Mindfulness approaches
- Online / Virtual / Telehealth Counselling
- Play Therapy
- Self Regulation Therapy (SRT)
- Synergetic Play Therapy
Counselling practice website:www.pathwaysplaytherapy.ca
Vernon Playroom Opening Early 2024! Waitlist Open Now – Email for Details!
At Pathways Play Therapy Services, my mission is to support children’s mental and emotional wellbeing, strengthen their attachments, and increase their connection to self. As a play therapist and child counsellor, I work exclusively with children and those who care about them.
My approach is based in an understanding of the brain and nervous system, attachment, mindfulness, and regulation. This means that I will support your child at a deeper level, working with them to process the challenging behaviours, emotions, and thoughts that are causing distress. I will teach them new ways to regulate their emotions, sensory needs, and energy, and give them skills that they can use day-to-day.
Just as importantly, I will also partner with you to make sense of the struggles your child is facing and uncover ways to help them live a more joyful and fulfilled life.
Underlying my approach is the belief that play therapy needs to be anti-racist and inclusive. This means that my work is centered on partnering with you and your family to ensure that your child can be seen, supported and empowered in all their identities.
My ultimate goal is for your child to get to be their own healthy and connected one-of-a-kind self, and for you to feel supported as we help them get there.
I support children ages 2-8 years old with:
- behavioural challenges and outbursts
- foster and kinship care experiences
- traumatic experiences
- family conflict and separation
- emotional sensitivity
- attention and hyperactivity
- sensory processing overwhelm
- gender expression and exploration
- anxiety and worries
- sadness and depression
- learning differences
- social navigation
- challenging transitions (living with a new family, parental divorce, going to a new school, etc.).
I am a white, cisgender, allistic, able-bodied play therapist, Mom, and settler currently living and practicing on the unceded, ancestral and tradition territory of the Sqilxʷ/Syilx (Okanagan Nation).
I am a Canadian Certified Counsellor (CCC) with the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association and a BC Registered Play Therapist (BCRPT) with the BC Play Therapy Association. I am also a Certified Synergetic Play Therapist & Supervisor with the Synergetic Play Therapy Institute.
I have worked with children, youth, and families for over 20 years, with a focus on child and youth mental health, including infant and early years mental health, family preservation, and foster and kinship care.
What to Expect: Coming to the Playroom
To provide your child with the opportunity to work through behavioural and emotional challenges in the ways that feel most congruent to them, the Pathways playroom is equipped with toys, games, art materials, a sandtray, regulation tools, and even a swing and a trampoline!
All child appointments are offered in-person at the playroom with COVID-19 protocols in place.
All parent appointments are offered either over secure video or phone.
Extended Health Coverage
Partial coverage for therapy is possible through extended health benefit providers who include coverage for therapy with a Canadian Certified Counsellor (CCC).
Free No-Obligation Phone Consult
Finding a therapist who is the right fit for you and your child can be overwhelming, and it can be challenging to base your decision on a write-up alone. I offer a free no-obligation 15-minute phone consult to explain the basics of play therapy, give you a better sense of who I am, and answer any questions you might have about my practice.
I am able to respond the quickest over email. Please feel free to send me a message if you would like to connect.
- Certified Synergetic Play Therapist & Supervisor with the Synergetic Play Therapy Institute, practicing Synergetic Play Therapy with children and families since 2014.
- BC Registered Play Therapist (BCRPT) with the BC Play Therapy Association, requiring 2000 hours of clinical practice and 180 hours of play therapy training.
- Phase I Neurosequential Model of Therapeutics Certification (ChildTrauma Academy) - a framework for understanding and working with children’s behavioural and emotional challenges after experiencing trauma.
- In the process of completing certification to be certified as an AutPlay Therapist.