Areas of practice
- Brain Injury
- Personal Injury
- Vocational Assessment
- Acceptance & Commitment Therapy
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
Counselling practice website:DiscoverYourBrain.com
Have you sustained a traumatic brain injury or stroke, or do you have a neurological disease, leaving you changed in your thinking, emotions, or personality? Maybe you are not sure whether your thinking has been affected, and you want to check your capabilities for work or schooling? Are you noticing memory changes as you age, and wondering whether they are normal? Maybe you are a family member, coping with these changes in your loved one?
Hello! I'm Dr. Karin Christensen. I am a clinical psychologist with specialized training in neuropsychology -- brain-behaviour relationships. Above are some of the questions I help people to address. I work with adults, from age 19 to 100. I enjoy helping people using both assessments and treatments. I have a unique credential combination of clinical psychology and neuropsychology. These allow you, my clients, a variety of helpful tools - "Whatever it takes for brain injury."
I offer neuropsychological evaluations, which provide a detailed look at thinking skills (memory, problem-solving, language...). You would take part in a series of tasks and tests, to determine your stronger and weaker skills in each area. From your results, I help you to learn and use tailored strategies, so you can function at your best - at work, school, activities, and home life. The evaluation can help to diagnose conditions, and can add useful information for your medical doctor or insurer.
Evaluations are scored according to expectations for your age & education in each skill; are in-depth; and thus require significant time. They can be shorter or longer, depending on the information needed. We will discuss your needs, and find the most cost-effective yet useful alternative for you, your family, &/or your doctor.
I also offer treatments and interventions for people with brain injury or medical conditions. My main approach is cognitive-behavioural; and I include other approaches that suit my client and their situation.
Treatments can address:
- what to expect after a brain injury - from mild/concussion to severe
- how to give yourself the best chance for recovery - healthy lifestyle options
- healthy brain consultations for aging adults
- cognitive rehabilitation - strategies for adapting, compensating, and optimizing functioning, even with a serious condition or injury
- follow-up after an assessment, to put your tailored strategies to use
- dealing with shifted relationships and changed personalities
- tips for family members handling changed thinking and emotions in their loved one
I have years of experience with all levels of brain injuries; strokes; conditions like Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, drug overdose; dementia diseases like Alzheimer's; and healthy aging adults. I've worked with people who have anxiety, depression and other psychological challenges. I have worked in rehab and other hospitals, in concussion clinics, with insurance companies, and assisting injured workers back to work and full lives.
Please feel free to contact me. I look forward to hearing from you!
- Neuropsychology -- the study of brain-behaviour relationships. UVic academic, and Ottawa Hospital residency, programs accredited by Canada and US. 7 years training.
- Assessment of various thinking skills (cognition) & social/emotional functioning. Several years of coursework + supervised work placements in cognitive and psychological assessment.
Client fee individuals:$200/hour
Client fee couples/families:$200/hour