Areas of practice
- Addictions - Including Substances
- Anxiety and/or Panic
- Chronic Illness
- Chronic Pain
- LGBTQ Issues
- Sleep Difficulties-Adults
- Stress Management
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Communication Skills Training
- Feminist Psychotherapy
- Integrative Psychotherapy
- Mindfulness approaches
- Pain Management
- Relaxation Therapy
Counselling practice website:www.TheEmpoweredLife.ca
Janette Sperber, M.S., is a Registered Clinical Counsellor with specialized training in Biofeedback.
I can help you better cope with a wide range of psychological, emotional and physical issues.
Do you have anxiety problems, such as panic attacks or feeling fearful in certain situations? Give yourself the chance to learn how to calm your nervous system and attain a sense of control and empowerment. Wouldn't it be nice to feel secure within yourself and at peace with your environment, rather than feeling at the mercy of certain circumstances? If you haven't been able to resolve these problems on your own, you may be surprised at the difference a trained and caring professional can make.
If you are struggling with any sort of addiction and you want extra support beyond peer-led programs, I have specialized training in addiction & recovery. Please contact me for further information.
Finally, I have extensive experience dealing with pain or disability issues, including chronic pain of any kind, headaches, nerve and muscle pain, or “psychosomatic” issues. In general, if stress is making your physical condition worse, then you are a good candidate for biofeedback.
As a Counsellor, I can help you to:
- Learn healthy boundaries (this can be achieved at any age!).
- Develop a clear and specific plan for building the kind of life you want to live.
- Feel at peace with yourself and your choices.
- Learn how to manage difficult emotions such as anger and fear.
- Understand and resolve compulsive behaviors.
- Change chronically dysfunctional personal relationships.
- Build strong inner resource for coping with stress.
I often draw on cognitive-behavioral principles to address and transform unwanted life experiences. These techniques tend to bring about the fastest visible improvements in the quality of life, however, they may not resolve the underlying issue that caused the problems. If "digging deeper" is something you feel you are ready for, my warm and empathetic personality tends to foster the trust and openness that leads to a positive outcome. I offer a safe and supportive environment, where your boundaries and limits are respected.
Examples of my techniques include role-playing and giving a voice to different parts of yourself to resolve a dilemma; at other times I might guide you to practice how to “think through” a situation, so you develop your own problem-solving style. Due to my extensive experience in Biofeedback, I can teach you body-mind techniques to keep you centered and grounded, so you can stay calm and do better in difficult situations. Although I do not specialize in child treatment, I do accept minors for biofeedback-related issues.
Whether you need help with one specific problem or you need to turn your whole life around, take that first step and contact me.
I currently have availability on Tuesday & Thursday afternoons and evenings in my new Victoria office.
- BCIA certified in Biofeedback since 1990. Lifelong training in cross-cultural issues, beginning in 1984, "Human Relations Training Project", one year program at Cornell University.
Client fee individuals:$140 for biofeedback/counselling, $120 counselling only
Client fee couples/families:N/A