Areas of practice
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual
- Addictions - Including Substances
- Anxiety and/or Panic
- Family Conflict
- Grief and Loss - General
- Life Transitions
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Self-Esteem Issues
- Stress Management
- Trauma Counselling
- Women's Issues
- Adolescent Therapy
- Body Centred Psychotherapy
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Critical Incident Stress Management
- Family Systems
- Family Therapy
- Mindfulness approaches
- Motivational Interviewing
- Self Regulation Therapy (SRT)
- Sensorimotor Psychotherapy
Counselling practice website:joycebarwis.com
Joyce Barwis is a Masters Level Registered Clinical Counsellor providing the support you need to make significant, fundamental, and lasting change in your life. With over 35 years of practice behind her, Joyce can help you in all areas of your life and is certified for clinical practice in the areas of trauma, family therapy and mental health and addictions.
With Joyce you will discover a supportive environment that allows you to restore faith in yourself and dignity in your life. She has a strong and proven record that demonstrates her ability to embrace and promote respect for culture and human diversity as part of her personalized approach to counselling.
Your social and cultural background plays an important role and Joyce looks at these important life experiences as part of your healing process. Her ability to understand these aspects of your life contribute to building a trusting, non-judgmental relationship that is mutually respectful.
Research has shown that stress, pain and emotions are connected. When you are given the opportunity to understand how your thoughts and emotional responses can affect your overall health and state of well being you can learn how to improve the quality of your life.
Events both physical and emotional can change the function of your brain and nervous system. This affects your muscles, digestion, blood pressure and other bodily systems. Because these changes occur on a neuro-psychological level you are not conscious of them. You then continue to repeat unhealthy patterns that affect your daily life in negative ways.
Joyce can help you improve and develop healthy patterns of response that improve the quality of your life. Joyce provides counselling using evidence based therapy to help you embark on finding the strength and self- awareness required to start the healing process.
Joyce provides clinical counselling to help rebalance your life with many positive results allowing you to increase your ability to respond to challenging events with flexibility and resilience.
You will find assistance to help you address many life challenges including:
Management for anxiety and stress
Strategies for depression
Healing emotional trauma
Adjustment to life changes
Chronic Pain strategies
- Most of us have experienced difficult interactions or a difficult relationship at some point in our life. These experiences can have a lasting impact in our adult life and affect our psychological health. Often these areas of vulnerability will be expressed through limited beliefs about self and by thoughts and behavior patterns that produce unhealthy results in a person's life. These cognitive patterns become well established automatic responses in our life. Some examples would be: - no one ever supports me, I am better to do the job on my own, or my feelings are never accepted. When these beliefs come up they are often connected to interactions or situations that have left us feeling vulnerable or overwhelmed. This is where the brain kicks in to the pattern of fight, flight or freeze. How can you change your situation? Often people come to see a clinical counsellor. As a clinical counsellor, I am trained to work with your particular situation and will use approaches that are evidence based and will assist in bringing new awareness and meaning into your life. How is this done? We will work with your physical and emotional responses to a situation, address grief/loss and rework your belief system and patterns of connection/attachment in relationships that are currently not working for you. What type of changes may come from counselling? Clients report: -decrease in anxiety -improved concentration -ability to think more clearly -feeling more optimistic -less chaos in relationship -mood improvement -not feeling trapped in relationship - recognizing options -improved ability to problem solve
Client fee individuals:$110.00 per hour
Client fee couples/families:$120.00 per hour