Areas of practice
- Anxiety and/or Panic
- Grief and Loss - General
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues
- Pre-Marital Counselling
- Self-Esteem Issues
- Trauma Counselling
- Communication Skills Training
- Imago Relationship Therapy
- Marriage & Couples Counselling
- Online/ Virtual Counselling
- Solution Focused Therapy
- Telephone Counselling
I am guessing that if you are reading this page that you are thinking about counselling.
You may already have had some experience with counselling, or this may be your first time and you are wondering what to expect.
Counselling can be used to get you through a very rough time, and it can also be used from time to time to help you make decisions, heal from past hurts and traumas, help you understand yourself better, setting healthier boundaries with partners, family, coworkers etc., and help you choose healthier relationships and ways of being in the world.
Counselling is a place where you can talk about everything and anything, and expect to be heard and respected and not feel judged. Your relationship with me will be the most important part of the counselling process. You, the client, need to feel that you and your counsellor are a good fit, and there is enough trust in the relationship that you can talk about the things you need to talk about.
The first session is usually about getting to know one another a bit. We will discuss the importance of confidentiality and I will ask you to sign a confidentiality agreement. We will also talk about what brings you to counselling now, and what you hope to get out of the counselling experience. We will talk about a couple of goals that you want to move towards, and how often you might need to come for therapy to be most effective.
I also offer Imago Relationship Therapy for couples in all stages of a relationship. Imago Relationship Therapy is an effective, loving, and compassionate approach to bridging the distance between you and your partner. Some couples therapies involve couples telling their struggles and beefs to a therapist, which can put the therapist in the role of referee. Imago Relationship Therapy teaches couples how to communicate with each other, face to face, with the therapist in the support role of a coach. You can take these newly learned skills and a solid framework to work within, out into your everyday lives and have any kind of conversation, including contentious ones, on your own without a referee.
I like to talk to all future clients before we meet for the first time, just to make sure that I have the skills and expertise to be of use in our counselling sessions. For this reason I offer a free 15 minute conversation where you can briefly tell me why you are seeking counselling at this time. After our chat we can book an appointment right then and there, or you can take some time to decide if you would like to work together.
I look forward to hearing from you.
If you answer yes to any of the following questions, I can help!
- Would you like to communicate better with family members, friends, partners or people at work?
- Would you like to be able to identify your feelings and share them with others?
- Do you think that you might be in an unhealthy relationship?
- Do you find yourself agreeing to do things you don't really want to do?
- Do you feel like you are an outsider?
- Are you resentful that people do not respect your boundaries?
- Are you and your partner having the same argument over and over again?
- Do you feel stuck in your life and frustrated that you can't seem to move forward?
- Do you wish you could feel more connected with others?
- Do you choose partners that need rescuing?
- Are you over-functioning in your relationships?
- Would you like some insight into why you repeat harmful and frustrating patterns?
- Do you wish you were more active and had more interesting friends?
- Do your emotions overcome you and inhibit you from expressing yourself?
- Do you long to be accepted for who you are?
- Do you wish you could speak up more?
How therapy works:
We explore the reasons why you night ot have some of these things in your life. We talk and use our shared knowledge and skills, and together we make a plan for moving you towards where you want to be in your life. A place where you feel more positive about yourself, your life, and your relationships.
It is my hope that you leave our sessions with:
- The feeling that you have been heard
- The feeling that you have been understood
- The feeling that I genuinely care about you
- The feeling that you have been treated with respect
- Practical skills that you can take out into the world and begin to use
- Insight into your concerns
- That you have received real and honest feedback
- That you are not alone
I absolutely love what I do. I feel it is an honour and a privilege that people trust me enough to share with me their struggles and pain, their successes and happiness, as well as their hopes and their dreams. If you think you might like to work together, take advantage of my free 15 minute phone call and give me a call. I am always happy to hear from new clients.
- I am a trained and certified Imago Relationship Therapist.
Client fee individuals:Please contact Coral for fee structure.
Client fee couples/families:Please contact Coral for fee structure.