Areas of practice
- Anxiety and/or Panic
- Divorce and/or Separation
- Family Conflict
- Grief and Loss - General
- Intimacy Issues
- Life Transitions
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues
- Personal Growth
- Trauma Counselling
- Women's Issues
- Emotion Focused Therapy
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT)
- Integrative Psychotherapy
- Internal Family Systems
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy
- Marriage & Couples Counselling
- Online / Virtual / Telehealth Counselling
Counselling practice website:www.safehavenbc.com
Do you feel like you and your partner can't communicate without conflict?
Are you stuck in a cycle where you try to connect and they shut down and pull away?
These patterns are normal in long-term relationships, but it doesn't make them any less painful. If you have reached a point where you have no idea how to connect with your spouse anymore and feel lost and alone, couples counseling may be right for you.
My approach to couples work is to first look at where these issues stem from. I do so through an attachment lens, considering how you have learned to relate to others over the course of your life. Together we will identify your attachment style, and that of your partner, and look at how these two styles commonly interact. Having this awareness takes you beneath the surface conflict and gives you a more compassionate understanding of what is really happening between you. My specific way of working is with Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT), which focuses on the negative cycle of interaction between you, and gives couples an experience of how to relate to one another in a deeper more bonded way outside of the therapy room.
This focus on attachment and relationship is also foundational in my work with individuals. How we connect to ourselves greatly informs how we connect to others. If you are dealing with anxiety, depression or low self-esteem, it is quite likely that your relationship with yourself needs some attention. Again, using an attachment lens, we will look at how your early life experiences have informed what you believe about yourself, others and the world today.
If you are dealing with any of the following, I can help....
- Divorce/ breakdown of a long-term love relationship
- Unresolved trauma
- Relationship conflict (including: infidelity, communication issues, intimacy problems)
- Stress at work/home
- Grief, due to any loss or major life change
- Midlife transitions (menopause, empty nesting, marriage problems, career changes)
- Self-esteem and identity issues
- Family conflict (teens, parents, overall)
- Career fatigue or burnout
Why work with me?
Studies show that the relationship between counselor and client is the most important determining factor for success. There are many counselors out there to choose from and the process of finding the right one can be both daunting and expensive. For this reason, I offer a free 15 minute consultation over video to help you determine whether I am the right person for you.
If we work together you can expect the following:
- Empathic and non-judgemental care
- Full one-hour sessions
- Attention to the problem from a mind/body/soul perspective
- A focus on your strengths and values
- Ability to provide regular visits (if necessary)
- A non-biased perspective, particularly in couples work
- A warm, friendly, and caring relationship
I look forward to working with you and feel honoured to do so.
- Gabor Mate's Compassionate Inquiry (CI)
- EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing)
- Internal Family Systems therapy (IFS)
- Emotionally Focused couples therapy (EFT)
Client fee individuals:$165 + GST
Client fee couples/families:$195 + GST