Areas of practice
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual
- Anxiety and/or Panic
- Chronic Illness
- Divorce and/or Separation
- Family Issues
- Grief and Loss - General
- Intimacy Issues
- Life Transitions
- Parenting Issues
- Professional Burnout
- Self-Esteem Issues
- Stress Management
- Trauma Counselling
- Body Centred Psychotherapy
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Emotionally Focused Therapy - Individuals
- Family Systems
- Integrative Psychotherapy
- Mindfulness approaches
- Psychodynamic Therapy
- Solution Focused Therapy
Counselling practice website:barbarakates.com
Everyone feels overwhelmed or frustrated with difficulties or emotional issues at some point in life. Perhaps you are dealing with stress, grief, eating and body image concerns, or chronic health or pain problems? Relationships or parenting struggles are common, or we are simply unhappy with where our life is headed. Maybe I can help.
My name is Barbara Kates and I am a Kelowna Registered Clinical Counsellor (BCACC, #14414) and a Certified Canadian Counsellor (CCPA, #10001789). I offer compassionate and professional guidance that helps you resolve or manage life difficulties so you can find greater balance and wellbeing. You don't have to tough it out alone.
Common concerns I work with:
- depression, mood, & anxiety
- Relationships (individual, couple, and family dynamics)
- Eating & body image issues
- Life transitions (emerging adult, separation/divorce, parenting, retirement, grief and loss)
- Coping with chronic illness & pain
- Stress (work/life), burnout, & reactivity/anger
- Personal growth (self-awareness, existential/identity, life planning)
- Trauma (developmental & major event)
My warm, collaborative, and respectful style helps create a safe and trusting bond where you can be yourself and gain clarity around what you need from therapy. I make space for all emotions in therapy, including tears and laughter. I am skilled in brief approaches that quickly and strategically target symptoms or concerns, as well as deeper modalities that help uncover issues that are driving complaints. My integrative approach draws from evidence-based approaches to tailor a plan that works just for you.
Therapy models I draw from:
- Relational & Dynamic Therapy
- Mindfulness and Meditation
- Mentalization-Based Therapy (How to reflect on self and others, communication)
- Attachment & Systemic (Family) Therapy
- Cognitive Behavioral Approaches (CBT & DBT)
- Body-Centered Therapy (i.e. relaxation, breathing, trauma-based yoga)
- Expressive Therapy (i.e. emotion, art, play)
Educated in a broad range of mental and physical health approaches, I have over 20 years experience as a health professional. I studied human nutrition, briefly attended medical school, trained as a dietitian, and gained additional graduate expertise in health psychology. Witnessing the powerful benefits of psychotherapy led me towards another graduate degree in counselling psychology. Becoming a registered clinical counsellor has deepened my skills in cognitive, dynamic, and systemic approaches. I use a trauma-informed, holistic perspective that allows me to integrate mind-body approaches into talk therapy in ways that feel safe and manageable for my clients. I also work with chronic illness and pain and one of my offices is located in Phoenix Health and Fitness.
You don't have to be in crisis or have a mental illness to seek my unbiased support. Therapy can be extremely valuable for those who feel stuck, disconnected, lost, or simply "going through the motions". I offer flexible but supportive structures and processes that can help you find relief, peace, and/or greater vitality and meaning in your life.
I would love to hear from you. Please visit my website and e-mail me to set up a time to discuss your concerns.
Client fee individuals:$120
Client fee couples/families:$130