Areas of practice
- Child Behaviour
- Cross Cultural Issues
- Family Conflict
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues
- Parent/Teen Conflict
- Parenting Issues
- Child Centred Therapy
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Family Systems
- Gottman Method Couples Therapy
- Marriage & Couples Counselling
- Mindfulness approaches
- Solution Focused Therapy
Counselling practice website:surreydeltafamilycounselling.ca
I’m Angela Pallan, I have specialized training in Individual, Family, & Couples Counselling. I'm fluent in English, Hindi and Punjabi. My credentials include: Registered Clinical Counsellor (R.C.C.)., M.A. Counselling Psychology, and B.A Child and Youth Care Counselling.
My approach to counseling is to provide an emotionally safe place for you to talk openly about what issues are bothering you. Through respectful, professional and a friendly manner, I listen attentively to your experiences. I am client-centered and will ask you to start where you feel comfortable; dedicating my time to focus on what is troubling you. Jointly, we will explore your personal issues, determine your goals and develop a treatment plan that works for you. I am committed to being part of your healing process and will support you all the way.
I have experience in Marital Counselling. Marital Counselling can assist couples to help recognize and to better manage their differences or gridlocked conflicts, resulting in healthier and more effective communication and relationship.
Married couples will be seen both individually and jointly by a therapist to assist them in resolving various marital problems.
Couples can argue over several things which therapy can assist with. Some of these can include:
- poor communication
- differences in parenting styles
- blended/ extended family differences
- financial strain
- overwhelmed with trying to balance work, home and social life
- lack of intimacy
- lack of trust in relationship
- life transitions
- cultural differences
Through discussion and using the assessment tools provided, you will be able to:
- increase your ability to use effective communication skills
- understand one another’s perspective, attitude and behaviour
- discuss what makes a relationship work and what a healthy relationship looks like
- help identify specific problems and strengths in the dynamics of your relationship
- understand gridlocked conflicts in your relationship
- determine interventions and strategies that help strengthen your conflict management skills and move from the gridlocked issue to positive dialogue
I also have specialized training in Individual and Family Counselling. Counselling can be useful for identifying problems such as family of origin issues, stress of a job, parenting differences or feelings of worthlessness. Therapy can help confront some of your barriers that interfere with your mental and emotional well-being and help provide personal growth. You can get better insight of yourself, increase your positive feelings and enhance your quality of life. Therapy can also strengthen your ability to make the desired changes you could benefit from in your life.
I would work with you to develop ways to address the various challenges you are experiencing through a positive therapeutic experience. Sessions will be based on the individual/ family problem and I would work with you collaboratively to help sort out your thoughts and determine what you need to do to address your concerns.
Additional Information about this Counsellor
- I am a Registered Clinical Counsellor, a parenting group facilitator, and a Healthy Families Counsellor.
- I have my Masters in Counselling Psychology and a Bachelor’s Degree in Child and Youth Care Counselling.
- I am a Family Counsellor serving children, adolescents, couples and families in Surrey, South Surrey, Delta, Langley, Burnaby, Richmond, and Vancouver.
- I am registered with Crime Victim Services (who provide funded coverage for victims and witnesses of crime and abuse).
- I have completed Level 1 and Level 2 training in Gottman Method Couples Therapy in my therapy work.
- I also currently work with many Indo-Canadian Families on various presenting conflicts including family violence, addiction, abuse, parenting issues, cultural/ inter-generational differences between parents and children and needing assistance in connecting to community resources, such as legal aid. As I am fluent in Punjabi and Hindi, I can assist clients in communicating their needs with outside resources, while also speaking to them in a language they are familiar with, in individual or family sessions.
- I have the experience of working as a Child and Youth Counsellor for over five years in a high school and community setting. I have worked with adolescents to address personal issues such as assertiveness, self-esteem, to build communication skills, help set boundaries, decrease and better manage stress, anxiety and depression and have mediated sessions between parents and adolescents to deal with cultural and inter-generational differences and various other parent/ teen conflicts.
The first step would be to contact me to arrange for a free thirty minute phone consultation. This assessment meeting would allow me to gather information and get a sense of the issues you may be facing. It would also allow me you to ask any questions you may wish to clarify, allowing you to get a better sense of who I am and if you feel I could benefit you. Once it’s been established that counselling would be helpful for you, we would arrange for our first session.
- Together, we will develop an action plan. I will provide you with referrals and resources that will assist you in reaching your goals.
- These sessions will vary from 60 minutes to two hours, depending on what you and I decide would suit your counselling needs.
My hours are flexible and I am available mornings, evenings, and on weekends. Telephone appointments are also available.
Client fee individuals:110.00+gst
Client fee couples/families:$120.00+gst