Postpartum Depression, Trauma Counselling Counsellors
Postpartum Depression, Trauma Counselling
Postpartum depression affects nearly a quarter of all new mothers. Pregnant women who feel sad, blue or down, are at an ever greater risk of postpartum depression. Women who are taking anti-depressants before, will have to stop when they fall pregnant, causing increased feelings of depression.
It is common for new mothers to be afraid to discuss postpartum depression and their thoughts and feelings for fear of being judged as bad mothers. Unless these emotions are discussed with a professional, it could escalate to worse problems.
The most common symptoms of baby blues include anger, sadness, numbness, loss of appetite, trouble sleeping and mood swings. However, postpartum depression affects your functioning significantly and symptoms could include too much or too little sleep, lack of motivation and energy, restlessness and mood swings, trouble with decision making, lots of crying, feelings of worthlessness, and memory problems. Feelings of worthlessness may cause you to withdraw from family and friends. Aches, pains and stomach problems may persist, making it hard to take care of a baby. A new mother with postpartum depression may lose interest in activities she used to enjoy.
The dangers of postpartum depression includes thoughts of the mother hurting herself or her baby, or a total lack of interest in the baby. Some mothers are unable to care for themselves or for their babies.
Professional help is essential for women suffering from postpartum depression to change their perceptions about themselves. A therapist will help a new mother adjust to the changes brought about by motherhood and the changes in hormones and lifestyle and the dynamics of being responsible for a new life.
If you are looking for a counsellor or psychologist who offers postpartum depression counselling and other women's issues you may want to search the directory to find a professional whose approach will suit you best.
Trauma counselling can assist with a wide range of internal emotional reactions to devastating situations. Some people experience things as more traumatic than others, and therefore they will need help in coping the emotional burdens of an event or situation.
Stressful events such as death of a loved one, rape, abuse, accidents, divorce, violence or bullying can leave people unable to cope or process the emotional burdens. However, it is not only events linked to the individual personally, but also being a witness to events that might leave a person with post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). This includes being a victim to violence or natural disasters - there is no limit to the causes of trauma.
In the case of PTSD, people can develop many different psychological reactions, as determined by their own coping skills, emotional stability and background. Symptoms of PTSD include a anger, depression, flashbacks, insomnia, nightmares, social withdrawal, loss of self esteem and confidence, and substance abuse.
It takes a strong person to have the courage to stand up and request trauma counselling. This is no time to compare yourself to other people in similar situations, but rather to recognize that everyone has a different reaction to trauma. Therefore, it is important to address the symptoms of post traumatic stress disorder as soon as possible to help you deal with emotions in a healthy way and to overcome the difficulties you are facing. Trauma counselling can help avert potentially more severe psychological disorders, that can occur if PTSD is left untreated.
If you are looking for a counsellor or psychologist who provides trauma counselling to address your posttraumatic stress management issues you may want to search the directory to find a professional whose approach will suit you best.
Note: You may narrow your search by selecting more than one filter below.
- (-) Remove Postpartum Depression filterPostpartum Depression
- (-) Remove Trauma Counselling filterTrauma Counselling
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual (1)Apply Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual filter
- Addictions - Including Substances (1)Apply Addictions - Including Substances filter
- Anxiety and/or Panic (1)Apply Anxiety and/or Panic filter
- Child Behaviour (1)Apply Child Behaviour filter
- Critical Incidents and Acute Stress (1)Apply Critical Incidents and Acute Stress filter
- Deaf and Hard of Hearing (1)Apply Deaf and Hard of Hearing filter
- Depression (1)Apply Depression filter
- Eating Disorders (1)Apply Eating Disorders filter
- Family Issues (2)Apply Family Issues filter
- Gender Identity Issues (1)Apply Gender Identity Issues filter
- Grief and Loss - General (1)Apply Grief and Loss - General filter
- LGBTQ Issues (2)Apply LGBTQ Issues filter
- Life Transitions (1)Apply Life Transitions filter
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues (2)Apply Marriage and/or Relationship Issues filter
- Neurodiversity (1)Apply Neurodiversity filter
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (1)Apply Obsessive Compulsive Disorder filter
- Parenting Issues (1)Apply Parenting Issues filter
- Phobias (1)Apply Phobias filter
- Pregnancy (1)Apply Pregnancy filter
- Sexuality (1)Apply Sexuality filter
- Transgender Identity and Adaptation (1)Apply Transgender Identity and Adaptation filter
- Women's Issues (1)Apply Women's Issues filter
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) (1)Apply Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) filter
- Communication Skills Training (1)Apply Communication Skills Training filter
- Critical Incident Stress Management (1)Apply Critical Incident Stress Management filter
- EMDR (1)Apply EMDR filter
- Family Systems (2)Apply Family Systems filter
- Family Therapy (1)Apply Family Therapy filter
- Feminist Psychotherapy (1)Apply Feminist Psychotherapy filter
- Gottman Method Couples Therapy (2)Apply Gottman Method Couples Therapy filter
- Humanistic Therapy (1)Apply Humanistic Therapy filter
- Integrative Psychotherapy (1)Apply Integrative Psychotherapy filter
- Internal Family Systems (1)Apply Internal Family Systems filter
- Marriage & Couples Counselling (1)Apply Marriage & Couples Counselling filter
- Mindfulness approaches (1)Apply Mindfulness approaches filter
- ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING (1)Apply ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING filter
- Play Therapy (1)Apply Play Therapy filter
- Solution Focused Therapy (1)Apply Solution Focused Therapy filter
- Telephone Counselling (2)Apply Telephone Counselling filter
- Video Counselling (2)Apply Video Counselling filter