Obesity is a silent killer and an epidemic that is growing at alarming rate. Someone who is obese will have more body fat than the average person and is at risk of contracting a range of lifestyle conditions, including heart problems, diabetes and high blood pressure.
Many obese people find it nearly impossible to lose weight, no matter what they do. They often end up on the yo-yo dieting cycle, where they would lose some weight on each new fad diet, just to regain double as soon as they stop the diet. Scientists have proven again and again that the only formula for successful weight loss and permanent maintenance of your ideal weight is to burn more calories than you consume.
The main reasons for obesity in healthy individuals is binge eating, and snacking when they are not really hungry. Emotional eating is very common too and many people with obesity issues tend to eat when they are stressed, happy or bored.
If there is no medical reason for your obesity, you should consider speaking to a therapist. Therapy from a psychologist or counsellors who is experienced in obesity-related issues will help you to explore the emotional blockages that stop you from losing weight. A range of therapy approaches will be used help you to establish the factors that cause you to over-eat and help you to find ways to better manage your emotions. Your therapist will help you set goals for your psychological and physical health to ensure that once you have lost all your weight, you can maintain it and feel good about yourself.
If you are looking for a counsellor or psychologist who offers counselling approaches to address your obesity issues, you may want to search the directory to find a professional whose approach will suit you best.
Note: You may narrow your search by selecting more than one filter below.
- (-) Remove Obesity filterObesity
- Anxiety and/or Panic (1)Apply Anxiety and/or Panic filter
- Bullying - Workplace (1)Apply Bullying - Workplace filter
- Career Issues (1)Apply Career Issues filter
- Chronic Illness (1)Apply Chronic Illness filter
- Chronic Pain (1)Apply Chronic Pain filter
- Compassion Fatigue (1)Apply Compassion Fatigue filter
- Death and Dying (1)Apply Death and Dying filter
- Depression (1)Apply Depression filter
- Family Caregiver Stress (1)Apply Family Caregiver Stress filter
- Gender Identity Issues (1)Apply Gender Identity Issues filter
- Grief and Loss - General (1)Apply Grief and Loss - General filter
- LGBTQ Issues (1)Apply LGBTQ Issues filter
- Life Balance (1)Apply Life Balance filter
- Life Transitions (1)Apply Life Transitions filter
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues (1)Apply Marriage and/or Relationship Issues filter
- Men's Issues (1)Apply Men's Issues filter
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (1)Apply Obsessive Compulsive Disorder filter
- Personal Growth (1)Apply Personal Growth filter
- Phobias (1)Apply Phobias filter
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (1)Apply Post Traumatic Stress Disorder filter
- Professional Burnout (1)Apply Professional Burnout filter
- Self-Esteem Issues (1)Apply Self-Esteem Issues filter
- Sexuality (1)Apply Sexuality filter
- Sleep Difficulties-Adults (1)Apply Sleep Difficulties-Adults filter
- Stress Management (1)Apply Stress Management filter
- Suicide Bereavement (1)Apply Suicide Bereavement filter
- Suicide Ideation / Survivor (1)Apply Suicide Ideation / Survivor filter
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) (1)Apply Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) filter
- Communication Skills Training (1)Apply Communication Skills Training filter
- Existential-Humanistic (1)Apply Existential-Humanistic filter
- Humanistic Therapy (1)Apply Humanistic Therapy filter
- Integrative Psychotherapy (1)Apply Integrative Psychotherapy filter
- Mindfulness approaches (1)Apply Mindfulness approaches filter
- Motivational Interviewing (1)Apply Motivational Interviewing filter
- Pain Management (1)Apply Pain Management filter
- Psychodynamic Therapy (1)Apply Psychodynamic Therapy filter
- Video Counselling (1)Apply Video Counselling filter