Family Issues, Marriage and/or Relationship Issues Counsellors
Family Issues, Marriage and/or Relationship Issues
Family and Systemic Psychotherapy uses the close interpersonal relationships between family members to help one another. The key to dealing with family issues is to help couples, family members or siblings to explore difficult emotions and thoughts in a safe manner. It helps each member to understand and acknowledge one another's emotions and allow them to express it safely, and in an effective manner.
Family therapy has been shown to be effective for people of all ages who are experiencing family issues or problems in their key systems (relationships) with people with whom they are close. It helps to build relationships and boosts the strengths and self-esteem of everyone in the system. Your family might need intervention if members have substance abuse problems, violent outbursts, if the family experienced a trauma, if a close family member died or if the family is not functioning at its normal capacity.
This type of therapy enables people to work with one another, instead of on one another and enables families to talk about issues that are causing distress without disrespecting emotions. Instead, it invites engagement of the family members in order to support recovery.
Therapists who address family issues use a range of different approaches to bring about the best results. While group therapy will probably take place once weekly, where the family will all meet with the therapist, individual sessions might be required too. This provides a great supplement to the family therapy work and is an ideal place for individuals to express their personal family issues that are hard to discuss in front of everyone.
If you are looking for a counsellor or psychologist who does family counselling you may want to search the directory to find a professional whose approach will suit you best.
Entering into a relationship means merging your life with another person, understanding his or her flaws, quirks and beliefs. With marriage rates declining and divorce statistics set at 50%, it is clear that people are increasingly challenged by marriage and relationship issues, and many lack effective ways to address them. So how can we bridge the gap to understanding our partners better and enjoying romantic bliss?
Many factors affect the interpersonal relationship between two partners who are a couple and sometimes it's hard to see the cause of conflict or friction in a relationship. While some people find divorce to be the best or only option, other people speak to counsellors and psychologists in a bid to try salvage the relationship.
Signs that indicate a need for couples counselling include poor communication in a relationship, affairs, living past one another, inability to resolve marriage of couples' issues, and acting out negative feelings. When divorce seems like the only option, or if a couple is staying together for the kids' sake, that's a sure sign that therapy is needed.
Therapists do not necessarily believe that all marriages can be salvaged, but counselling can often help even some of the most challenged relationships. Through talk therapy, the couple will discover again why they fell in love and what they can do to get back to that place in their marriage. They use a range of effective, proven methods to help couples in any situation to restore intimacy and move past the hurt and wounds to a safe and comfortable place.
The concrete tools used by marriage therapists provide guidance in a supportive and encouraging setting and empower clients to restructure their thoughts and emotions. It helps the couple to work with each other, instead of on one another, helping each individual to find the person he or she is at the core level and to build a happy union.
If you are looking for a counsellor or psychologist who works with couples you may want to search the directory to find a professional whose approach will suit you best.
Note: You may narrow your search by selecting more than one filter below.
- (-) Remove Family Issues filterFamily Issues
- (-) Remove Marriage and/or Relationship Issues filterMarriage and/or Relationship Issues
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual (6)Apply Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual filter
- Adolescent Issues (2)Apply Adolescent Issues filter
- Anger Management Issues (3)Apply Anger Management Issues filter
- Anxiety and/or Panic (9)Apply Anxiety and/or Panic filter
- Cancer Care and Support (1)Apply Cancer Care and Support filter
- Career Issues (2)Apply Career Issues filter
- Caregiver Support (1)Apply Caregiver Support filter
- Child Behaviour (1)Apply Child Behaviour filter
- Chronic Illness (1)Apply Chronic Illness filter
- Creativity (1)Apply Creativity filter
- Critical Incidents and Acute Stress (2)Apply Critical Incidents and Acute Stress filter
- Cross Cultural Issues (2)Apply Cross Cultural Issues filter
- Death and Dying (2)Apply Death and Dying filter
- Depression (9)Apply Depression filter
- Dissociative Disorders (1)Apply Dissociative Disorders filter
- Divorce and/or Separation (2)Apply Divorce and/or Separation filter
- Dreams (1)Apply Dreams filter
- Family Conflict (1)Apply Family Conflict filter
- Grief and Loss - General (6)Apply Grief and Loss - General filter
- Infidelity (1)Apply Infidelity filter
- Intimacy Issues (4)Apply Intimacy Issues filter
- Job Transition (1)Apply Job Transition filter
- Life Transitions (4)Apply Life Transitions filter
- Men's Issues (2)Apply Men's Issues filter
- Parenting Issues (2)Apply Parenting Issues filter
- Performance Enhancement (1)Apply Performance Enhancement filter
- Personal Growth (4)Apply Personal Growth filter
- Phobias (1)Apply Phobias filter
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (6)Apply Post Traumatic Stress Disorder filter
- Pre-Marital Counselling (1)Apply Pre-Marital Counselling filter
- Professional Burnout (1)Apply Professional Burnout filter
- Self-Esteem Issues (3)Apply Self-Esteem Issues filter
- Spirituality (2)Apply Spirituality filter
- Stress Management (4)Apply Stress Management filter
- Teen Adjustment Issues (1)Apply Teen Adjustment Issues filter
- Trauma Counselling (5)Apply Trauma Counselling filter
- Women's Issues (2)Apply Women's Issues filter
- Workplace Issues (3)Apply Workplace Issues filter
- Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (1)Apply Acceptance & Commitment Therapy filter
- ADD and ADHD Coping Strategies (1)Apply ADD and ADHD Coping Strategies filter
- Body Centred Psychotherapy (3)Apply Body Centred Psychotherapy filter
- Coaching (1)Apply Coaching filter
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) (7)Apply Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) filter
- Communication Skills Training (5)Apply Communication Skills Training filter
- Critical Incident Stress Management (1)Apply Critical Incident Stress Management filter
- Cross Cultural Therapy (1)Apply Cross Cultural Therapy filter
- EMDR (2)Apply EMDR filter
- Emotion Focused Therapy (1)Apply Emotion Focused Therapy filter
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT) (5)Apply Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT) filter
- Existential-Humanistic (3)Apply Existential-Humanistic filter
- Expressive Arts Therapies (1)Apply Expressive Arts Therapies filter
- Family Systems (5)Apply Family Systems filter
- Family Therapy (4)Apply Family Therapy filter
- Feminist Psychotherapy (1)Apply Feminist Psychotherapy filter
- Gestalt Therapy (2)Apply Gestalt Therapy filter
- Gottman Method Couples Therapy (2)Apply Gottman Method Couples Therapy filter
- Group Therapy (2)Apply Group Therapy filter
- Humanistic Therapy (4)Apply Humanistic Therapy filter
- Integrative Psychotherapy (1)Apply Integrative Psychotherapy filter
- Internal Family Systems (1)Apply Internal Family Systems filter
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy (1)Apply Interpersonal Psychotherapy filter
- Jungian Psychotherapy (2)Apply Jungian Psychotherapy filter
- Logotherapy (1)Apply Logotherapy filter
- Marriage & Couples Counselling (8)Apply Marriage & Couples Counselling filter
- Mindfulness approaches (5)Apply Mindfulness approaches filter
- ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING (3)Apply ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING filter
- Process Work (1)Apply Process Work filter
- Psycho-Educational Assessment (1)Apply Psycho-Educational Assessment filter
- Psychodynamic Therapy (3)Apply Psychodynamic Therapy filter
- Relational Psychotherapy (2)Apply Relational Psychotherapy filter
- Self Regulation Therapy (SRT) (1)Apply Self Regulation Therapy (SRT) filter
- Solution Focused Therapy (2)Apply Solution Focused Therapy filter
- Somatic Experiencing (1)Apply Somatic Experiencing filter
- Spiritual Counselling (2)Apply Spiritual Counselling filter
- Telephone Counselling (2)Apply Telephone Counselling filter
- Video Counselling (2)Apply Video Counselling filter
- Visualization (1)Apply Visualization filter