Chronic Illness, Stepfamily Adjustment Counsellors
Chronic Illness, Stepfamily Adjustment
Chronic illness has the ability to affect you in more ways than just medically. In fact, it can impact you psychologically. The degree of impact is dependent on the person's personality and the circumstances before the diagnosis. Support structure plays an important role on a person's ability to cope, but oftentimes, a person has to go through various stages of dealing with the condition before they are able to adjust to the realities of the chronic illness.
When a person is diagnosed with a chronic illness, he or she will go through a number of stages similar to the stages of grief. Denial, disbelief and shock are just some of the emotions a person experiences when a diagnosis is made, and it's natural for them to resist major changes. Eventually, they will become exhausted, when all they really want to do is to recover. At that point, fear and anxiety will set in and worry in the face of uncertainty of the future.
Sadness, grief and depression are common emotions when they consider the possibility of lost goals, hopes and dreams. Losing independence is a real fear, which becomes inevitable if an illness progresses and that brings about the fear of being a burden to loved ones, which brings on more anger, resentment and even shame.
Counselling can help a person to deal with the emotions relating to chronic illness and to cope with the stress and anxieties of accepting and coping with life changes. It will help to regain personal control over life and yourself.
If you are looking for a counsellor or psychologist who works with in chronically ill individuals you may want to search the directory to find a professional whose approach will suit you best.
Note: You may narrow your search by selecting more than one filter below.
- (-) Remove Chronic Illness filterChronic Illness
- (-) Remove Stepfamily Adjustment filterStepfamily Adjustment
- Attention Deficit Disorder - ADHD (1)Apply Attention Deficit Disorder - ADHD filter
- Child Behaviour (1)Apply Child Behaviour filter
- Depression (1)Apply Depression filter
- Divorce and/or Separation (1)Apply Divorce and/or Separation filter
- Family Conflict (1)Apply Family Conflict filter
- Family Issues (1)Apply Family Issues filter
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues (1)Apply Marriage and/or Relationship Issues filter
- Parent/Teen Conflict (1)Apply Parent/Teen Conflict filter
- Parenting Issues (1)Apply Parenting Issues filter
- Teen Adjustment Issues (1)Apply Teen Adjustment Issues filter
- ADD and ADHD Coping Strategies (1)Apply ADD and ADHD Coping Strategies filter
- Brief Therapy (1)Apply Brief Therapy filter
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) (1)Apply Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) filter
- Communication Skills Training (1)Apply Communication Skills Training filter
- Family Therapy (1)Apply Family Therapy filter
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy (1)Apply Interpersonal Psychotherapy filter
- Marriage & Couples Counselling (1)Apply Marriage & Couples Counselling filter
- Mediation (1)Apply Mediation filter
- ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING (1)Apply ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING filter
- Satir Therapy (1)Apply Satir Therapy filter
- Solution Focused Therapy (1)Apply Solution Focused Therapy filter