Bullying - School Counsellors
Bullying - School
School bullying has always been an issue for some children. When someone is perceived to have some weakness, they will often be systematically undermined and harmed by their peers. School bullies often bully children belonging to minority groups, and without treatment, the effects of bullying can last well into adulthood.
Bullies will hurt their victims emotionally by taking or damaging their property, calling them names, excluding them and making threats. Physical abuse is another form of school bullying and usually starts with shoving or hitting, but it can escalate to something much more severe. Cyberbullying is increasing in popularity amongst adolescents and due to the viral nature of the internet, rumors and lies can spread very fast, causing much damage to the victim.
Research has shown that boys are more prone to physical bullying while girls usually choose verbal bullying as their method of operation. That is one of the reasons why bullying by girls is more long-lasting and underreported.
Bullying can cause much harm, not only physically, but also to the victim's self-esteem. It can interfere with the victim's social skills development and ability to form normal relationships. School bullying will probably cause a child to fear going to school and he or she will invent excuses not to go. It can also cause a child to feel anger, fear, anxiety, isolation and shame.Sometimes, bullying can lead to suicidal thoughts and attempts.
A therapist with experience in treating bullying can help a victim to heal in a safe and nurturing environment. It can help the victim to share the feelings with a therapist or support groups who understand what he or she is going through.
If you are looking for a counsellor or psychologist who offers child therapy or counselling to address your child's bullying issues you may want to search the directory to find a professional whose approach will suit you best.
Note: You may narrow your search by selecting more than one filter below.
- (-) Remove Bullying - School filterBullying - School
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual (1)Apply Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual filter
- Adolescent Issues (1)Apply Adolescent Issues filter
- Anger Management Issues (1)Apply Anger Management Issues filter
- Anxiety and/or Panic (1)Apply Anxiety and/or Panic filter
- Attention Deficit Disorder - ADHD (1)Apply Attention Deficit Disorder - ADHD filter
- Child Stress and Trauma (1)Apply Child Stress and Trauma filter
- Depression (1)Apply Depression filter
- Grief and Loss - General (1)Apply Grief and Loss - General filter
- Learning Disabilities (1)Apply Learning Disabilities filter
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues (1)Apply Marriage and/or Relationship Issues filter
- Parent/Teen Conflict (1)Apply Parent/Teen Conflict filter
- Parenting Issues (1)Apply Parenting Issues filter
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (1)Apply Post Traumatic Stress Disorder filter
- ADD and ADHD Coping Strategies (1)Apply ADD and ADHD Coping Strategies filter
- Child Centred Therapy (1)Apply Child Centred Therapy filter
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) (1)Apply Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) filter
- EMDR (1)Apply EMDR filter
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT) (1)Apply Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT) filter
- Family Therapy (1)Apply Family Therapy filter
- Marriage & Couples Counselling (1)Apply Marriage & Couples Counselling filter
- Psycho-Educational Assessment (1)Apply Psycho-Educational Assessment filter
- Somatic Experiencing (1)Apply Somatic Experiencing filter
- Video Counselling (1)Apply Video Counselling filter