Addictions - Sexual, Grief and Loss - General Counsellors
Addictions - Sexual, Grief and Loss - General
Sexual addiction relates to any sex-related compulsive behaviors that are performed regardless of the consequences to the individual, his or her family, friends or work environment. Sex becomes a priority, ahead of everything else, and at all costs. It also refers to a dependency or compulsion relating to sexual acts and it can dominate the individual's life.
People with sexual addiction will spend a lot of time thinking about sex, masturbating compulsively, having multiple affairs, using pornography consistently, and performing unsafe sex. It can also take on a darker side when it involves rape or molestation, incest, sexual harassment, voyeurism, and using prostitutes.
Therapists can assist with sexual addiction by examining the person's behavior and sexual history. Many people with sexual addictions may have experienced abuse as children or adolescents and a therapist will explore those issues to help the person identify his or her thought patterns and danger zones.
Support groups have been shown to be effective in dealing with sexual addiction, though establishing a support network and accountability circle.
If you are looking for a counsellor or psychologist to address your sexual addiction you may want to search through the list of names below to find a therapist who will be right for you.
Grief is a natural part of dealing with the loss of a loved one, or a situation, or a way in which we see ourselves. Loss requires that we change the way things used to be and find a new way to restructure our lives accordingly. It's common for people to fear change, particularly if a part of us, or a person we loved deeply, is no longer there. It leaves a gap that has to be filled, but nothing can replace the person who has left us behind.
People deal with loss in many different ways, but the desired end result is the same - trying to piece together the puzzle to the best of our ability, without the missing piece. We also go through the various stages of grief at varying speeds and intensities. Dealing with all the emotions that form part of grief is what makes support so very important.
Time is of the essence during the grieving period, and something we sometimes tend to rush. That's why it's so useful to speak to a therapist who does grief counselling during this time.
A therapist will help you understand that what you are feeling is completely normal and even expected. Medical professionals are aware of the wide range of natural responses to grief and loss and are generally reluctant to diagnose mental illness while a person is in a period of bereavement. However, if depression is present, medication is likely to be prescribed.
Grief therapy will help you to accept the loss and be able to talk about it without breaking down. You will learn to identify and express your emotions regarding the loss and learn to make decisions without your loved one.
If you are looking for a counsellor or psychologist does grief counselling to address your grief and loss you may want to search the directory to find a professional whose approach will suit you best.
Note: You may narrow your search by selecting more than one filter below.
- (-) Remove Addictions - Sexual filterAddictions - Sexual
- (-) Remove Grief and Loss - General filterGrief and Loss - General
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual (1)Apply Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual filter
- Anxiety and/or Panic (1)Apply Anxiety and/or Panic filter
- Depression (1)Apply Depression filter
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (1)Apply Post Traumatic Stress Disorder filter
- Trauma Counselling (1)Apply Trauma Counselling filter
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) (1)Apply Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) filter
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (1)Apply Dialectical Behaviour Therapy filter
- Mindfulness approaches (1)Apply Mindfulness approaches filter
- Motivational Interviewing (1)Apply Motivational Interviewing filter
- ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING (1)Apply ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING filter
- Psychodynamic Therapy (1)Apply Psychodynamic Therapy filter
- Solution Focused Therapy (1)Apply Solution Focused Therapy filter
- Video Counselling (1)Apply Video Counselling filter