Addictions - Online Gaming Counsellors
Addictions - Online Gaming
Online gaming addiction affects people of all ages, including children. As with other addictions, online gaming addicts use computer or video games as an escape from the problems in their lives. Games offer players complete control, and this intoxicating world causes their brains to release endorphins that cause a high similar to what drug addicts experience.
There is a specific danger attached to children with online gaming addiction, as they are often so attached to virtual reality that they have lost their ability to communicate naturally and comfortably with real people. In cases where children become addicted at a very young age, they may never have developed that ability at all.
It is often hard for people to quit something when it's always in front of you and when everyone else is doing it. Online gaming addiction involves players thinking about and wanting to play games all the time, and getting angry when they can't. They may be unable to talk about anything that doesn't involve gaming and as a result, it will impact on relationships. Adults with online gaming addiction may spend a lot of money on buying games and peripherals and enter tournaments and more. It may affect their work and family lives as well.
The therapists below are some of the few who acknowledge this "new" phenomenon, and they use a range of treatment approaches to help people with online gaming addiction. They will challenge beliefs that steer harmful behaviors and help patients to develop coping skills. Behavioral changes are implemented using a step-by-step method while dealing with underlying issues, such as social anxiety, depression and other issues.
Since online gaming addiction often goes hand-in-hand with other conditions, such as pornography addiction or online gambling, it is important to find a therapist who can help with that too.
If you need a counsellor or psychologist to help you address the effects of online gaming addiction, you can search the directory below to find a professional with the approach best suited to your situation.
Note: You may narrow your search by selecting more than one filter below.
- (-) Remove Addictions - Online Gaming filterAddictions - Online Gaming
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual (1)Apply Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual filter
- Addiction - Social Media Addiction (1)Apply Addiction - Social Media Addiction filter
- Addictions - Gambling (1)Apply Addictions - Gambling filter
- Addictions - Including Substances (2)Apply Addictions - Including Substances filter
- Addictions - Sexual (1)Apply Addictions - Sexual filter
- Adolescent Issues (1)Apply Adolescent Issues filter
- Anger Management Issues (1)Apply Anger Management Issues filter
- Anxiety and/or Panic (2)Apply Anxiety and/or Panic filter
- Attention Deficit Disorder - ADHD (1)Apply Attention Deficit Disorder - ADHD filter
- Autism and Developmental Disorders (1)Apply Autism and Developmental Disorders filter
- Bullying - School (1)Apply Bullying - School filter
- Bullying - Workplace (1)Apply Bullying - Workplace filter
- Child Behaviour (1)Apply Child Behaviour filter
- Creativity (1)Apply Creativity filter
- Depression (2)Apply Depression filter
- Eating Disorders (1)Apply Eating Disorders filter
- Family Conflict (2)Apply Family Conflict filter
- Family Issues (1)Apply Family Issues filter
- Gender Identity Issues (1)Apply Gender Identity Issues filter
- Grief and Loss - General (2)Apply Grief and Loss - General filter
- LGBTQ Issues (1)Apply LGBTQ Issues filter
- Life Transitions (2)Apply Life Transitions filter
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues (1)Apply Marriage and/or Relationship Issues filter
- Men's Issues (1)Apply Men's Issues filter
- Parent/Teen Conflict (1)Apply Parent/Teen Conflict filter
- Parenting Issues (1)Apply Parenting Issues filter
- Personal Growth (2)Apply Personal Growth filter
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (1)Apply Post Traumatic Stress Disorder filter
- Professional Burnout (1)Apply Professional Burnout filter
- Retirement (1)Apply Retirement filter
- Sexuality (1)Apply Sexuality filter
- Stress Management (1)Apply Stress Management filter
- Trauma Counselling (2)Apply Trauma Counselling filter
- Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (1)Apply Acceptance & Commitment Therapy filter
- Coaching (1)Apply Coaching filter
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) (1)Apply Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) filter
- Communication Skills Training (1)Apply Communication Skills Training filter
- Cross Cultural Therapy (1)Apply Cross Cultural Therapy filter
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (1)Apply Dialectical Behaviour Therapy filter
- EMDR (2)Apply EMDR filter
- Existential-Humanistic (1)Apply Existential-Humanistic filter
- Marriage & Couples Counselling (1)Apply Marriage & Couples Counselling filter
- Motivational Interviewing (1)Apply Motivational Interviewing filter
- Narrative Therapy (1)Apply Narrative Therapy filter
- ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING (1)Apply ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING filter
- Psycho-Educational Groups (1)Apply Psycho-Educational Groups filter
- Sensorimotor Psychotherapy (1)Apply Sensorimotor Psychotherapy filter
- Video Counselling (1)Apply Video Counselling filter