Addictions - Including Substances, Teen Adjustment Issues Counsellors
Addictions - Including Substances, Teen Adjustment Issues
While some people can use prescription or recreational drugs with no negative effects, many others become addicted and face dramatic health and lifestyle problems as a result. Substance addictions negatively affect relationships, home, school or work, leaving the person feeling ashamed, helpless and isolated.
Physical symptoms of substance abuse and addiction are varied depending on the drug of choice, but the symptoms of the addiction itself are similar. People who are addicted to substances may neglect their responsibilities, take potentially dangerous risks and get into trouble with the law. As their drug use spirals out of control, they will lose interest in activities that used to be enjoyable and continue to take drugs despite knowing the harm it causes.
Substance addicts tend to build up a tolerance to their drug of choice, and get angry when they can't get more of it. Withdrawal symptoms are highly probable when an addict goes without it for too long. Depression, nausea, insomnia, sweating, restlessness, anxiety and shaking are all common withdrawal symptoms.
Psychotherapy can help you to overcome substance addiction by focusing on correcting maladaptive behaviors. Substance abuse is usually a coping mechanism against emotionally overwhelming past events or memories. Substances are often used to provide instant gratification instead of facing certain issues.
Therapists are equipped to help clients deal with addiction recovery through empowerment and helping them set simple short term targets. The first target is sobriety, followed by empowering the client with adaptive skills and finding new coping strategies that deal with the issues that caused the addiction. Substance addiction can be ended, allowing the person to live a healthy, productive life.
If you need a counsellor or psychologist to help you address the effects of substance addiction, you can search the directory below to find a professional with the approach best suited to your situation.
Teen adjustment issues start at a young age and can result in serious interpersonal problems at home and at school. It can affect the whole family, as well as friends and teachers. Teens today face incredible challenges and as parents it can be difficult to keep up with decisions healthy communication.
The scope of teen adjustment issues is wide, and ranges from dealing with new schools, ADHD and oppositional disorder, to gender identity problems, life skills, grief and loss, academic underachievement, sexual abuse, anxiety, depression and self-esteem. Peer pressure has always been a problem for teenagers, as has bullying.
At the same time, some parents are becoming less engaged with their children, while others are over-involved. It is becoming harder to find the balance and ways to handle their behaviours in a way that will encourage your teenagers to share their experiences with you. If your child is acting out and rebellious, you have lost control and it is time to get counselling.
Teen adjustment issues professionals can help your family to once again become a functioning unit where each member's needs are met in a healthy way. Many therapists have years of experience in working with teens of all ages and they commonly deal with teen adjustment issues, such as suicidal thoughts and attempts, drug use, self mutilation, and eating disorders, to name a few.
Counsellors provide a professional, yet safe and nurturing environment for teens to explore their issues and to help teens get back on track. Therapists can also help parents to find balance and create coping strategies and solutions for their children's teen adjustment issues.
If you are looking for a counsellor or psychologist who offers youth counselling to address your child's teen adjustment issues you may want to search the directory to find a professional whose approach will suit you best.
Note: You may narrow your search by selecting more than one filter below.
- (-) Remove Addictions - Including Substances filterAddictions - Including Substances
- (-) Remove Teen Adjustment Issues filterTeen Adjustment Issues
- Anger Management Issues (1)Apply Anger Management Issues filter
- Anxiety and/or Panic (1)Apply Anxiety and/or Panic filter
- Attention Deficit Disorder - ADHD (1)Apply Attention Deficit Disorder - ADHD filter
- Caregiver Support (1)Apply Caregiver Support filter
- Depression (1)Apply Depression filter
- Family Caregiver Stress (1)Apply Family Caregiver Stress filter
- Family Issues (1)Apply Family Issues filter
- First Nations Issues (1)Apply First Nations Issues filter
- Neurodiversity (1)Apply Neurodiversity filter
- Parent/Teen Conflict (1)Apply Parent/Teen Conflict filter
- Parenting Issues (1)Apply Parenting Issues filter
- Postpartum Depression (1)Apply Postpartum Depression filter
- Stress Management (1)Apply Stress Management filter
- ADD and ADHD Coping Strategies (1)Apply ADD and ADHD Coping Strategies filter
- Adolescent Therapy (1)Apply Adolescent Therapy filter
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) (1)Apply Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) filter
- Communication Skills Training (1)Apply Communication Skills Training filter
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (1)Apply Dialectical Behaviour Therapy filter
- Emotion Focused Therapy (1)Apply Emotion Focused Therapy filter
- Family Systems (1)Apply Family Systems filter
- Family Therapy (1)Apply Family Therapy filter
- Mindfulness approaches (1)Apply Mindfulness approaches filter
- Motivational Interviewing (1)Apply Motivational Interviewing filter
- Narrative Therapy (1)Apply Narrative Therapy filter
- ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING (1)Apply ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING filter