Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual, Unwanted Habits Counsellors
Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual, Unwanted Habits
The area of abuse counselling includes both physical, emotional and sexual abuse therapy effectively conducted in a safe and caring environment. While not visible on the outside, emotional abuse is also a form of assault which, if left untreated, can leave lifelong emotional scars. Abusers often use intimidation to create guilt and fear to make the victim feel ashamed and isolated from other people.
● The symptoms of physical abuse are usually the easiest to see, with victims making excuses for scars and bruises.
● Children who are sexually abused will often have an age-inappropriate knowledge of sexuality and may even suffer from sexualy transmitted diseases, or pregnancy.
● Emotional abuse often goes hand-in-hand with either sexual, and or physical abuse. The victim will usually display a poor self-esteem, anxiety, withdrawal from social interactions, lack of trust, pessimism, and suicide attempts, to name but a few.
Abuse is often carried through generations, causing victims to become abusers, too. However, abuse can be stopped.
Therapists in this directory use a range of approaches to address abuse victims to deal with their fears, anxiety and feelings of shame. They can also help perpetrators to put an end to the abuse. Psychologists and counsellors utilize a variety of approaches to help victims heal from sexual, emotional or physical abuse. Couples, group and family therapy can often be helpful.
If you need a counsellor or psychologist to help you address the effects of abuse, you can search through the list of names below to find a professional with the approach best suited to your situation.
Any action or behaviour that you feel is not useful, compulsive (or it could say "but you do it anyway"), and is causing harm to yourself. This can include nail biting, skin picking, hair pulling, overeating, overspending, over-working and other things. It can feel as if you have little to no control over whether you engage in the behaviour, or it can occur without even realizing it is happening. Unwanted habits can lead to guilt, shame, low mood, and anxiety, among other things.
Note: You may narrow your search by selecting more than one filter below.
- (-) Remove Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual filterAbuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual
- (-) Remove Unwanted Habits filterUnwanted Habits
- Addictions - Including Substances (1)Apply Addictions - Including Substances filter
- Anxiety and/or Panic (2)Apply Anxiety and/or Panic filter
- Chronic Illness (1)Apply Chronic Illness filter
- Critical Incidents and Acute Stress (1)Apply Critical Incidents and Acute Stress filter
- Depression (2)Apply Depression filter
- First Nations Issues (1)Apply First Nations Issues filter
- Geriatric Issues and Counselling (1)Apply Geriatric Issues and Counselling filter
- Grief and Loss - General (1)Apply Grief and Loss - General filter
- Life Balance (1)Apply Life Balance filter
- Life Transitions (2)Apply Life Transitions filter
- Perfectionism (1)Apply Perfectionism filter
- Phobias (1)Apply Phobias filter
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (2)Apply Post Traumatic Stress Disorder filter
- Pregnancy (1)Apply Pregnancy filter
- Procrastination (1)Apply Procrastination filter
- Professional Burnout (1)Apply Professional Burnout filter
- Retirement (1)Apply Retirement filter
- Sexual Assault (1)Apply Sexual Assault filter
- Sleep Difficulties-Adults (1)Apply Sleep Difficulties-Adults filter
- Stress Management (1)Apply Stress Management filter
- Trauma Counselling (2)Apply Trauma Counselling filter
- Women's Issues (1)Apply Women's Issues filter
- Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (1)Apply Acceptance & Commitment Therapy filter
- Brief Therapy (1)Apply Brief Therapy filter
- Coaching (1)Apply Coaching filter
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) (1)Apply Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) filter
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (1)Apply Dialectical Behaviour Therapy filter
- Hypnotherapy (1)Apply Hypnotherapy filter
- Integrative Psychotherapy (1)Apply Integrative Psychotherapy filter
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy (1)Apply Interpersonal Psychotherapy filter
- Meditation (1)Apply Meditation filter
- Mindfulness approaches (2)Apply Mindfulness approaches filter
- ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING (2)Apply ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING filter
- Rapid Resolution Therapy (RRT) (1)Apply Rapid Resolution Therapy (RRT) filter
- Reality Therapy (1)Apply Reality Therapy filter
- Shame Counselling & Therapy (1)Apply Shame Counselling & Therapy filter
- Telephone Counselling (1)Apply Telephone Counselling filter
- Vocational Counselling (1)Apply Vocational Counselling filter