Counselling Nelson - Family Issues, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Counsellors, Psychologists, Therapists in Nelson
Counselling Nelson contains information about counsellors, psychologists, and therapists in the Nelson area. These counsellors, psychologists, and therapists may assist individuals, couples and/or families. Many will be able to provide anger management counselling, depression counselling, anxiety counselling, marriage counselling, and trauma counselling.
Explore the information within the counselling listings for Nelson to get a better sense of which counselling professional might be a match for you.
Nelson consists of the following neighbourhoods:
Fairview, Uphill, Downtown, North Shore, Bonnington, Mountain Station, Rosemont, Lower Six Mile, 6 Mile
If you want to search a nearby city then click on the check mark for Nelson to unselect it and choose another city.
Family Issues, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
Family and Systemic Psychotherapy uses the close interpersonal relationships between family members to help one another. The key to dealing with family issues is to help couples, family members or siblings to explore difficult emotions and thoughts in a safe manner. It helps each member to understand and acknowledge one another's emotions and allow them to express it safely, and in an effective manner.
Family therapy has been shown to be effective for people of all ages who are experiencing family issues or problems in their key systems (relationships) with people with whom they are close. It helps to build relationships and boosts the strengths and self-esteem of everyone in the system. Your family might need intervention if members have substance abuse problems, violent outbursts, if the family experienced a trauma, if a close family member died or if the family is not functioning at its normal capacity.
This type of therapy enables people to work with one another, instead of on one another and enables families to talk about issues that are causing distress without disrespecting emotions. Instead, it invites engagement of the family members in order to support recovery.
Therapists who address family issues use a range of different approaches to bring about the best results. While group therapy will probably take place once weekly, where the family will all meet with the therapist, individual sessions might be required too. This provides a great supplement to the family therapy work and is an ideal place for individuals to express their personal family issues that are hard to discuss in front of everyone.
If you are looking for a counsellor or psychologist who does family counselling you may want to search the directory to find a professional whose approach will suit you best.
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is an anxiety disorder that usually starts within the three months of a traumatic incident. It has been reported that in rare cases, PTSD symptoms may only occur after a number of years.
Three groups of symptoms are present in people with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Increased anxiety / emotional arousal includes anger or irritability, overwhelming shame or guilt, sleeplessness and self-destructive behaviour. The second group of symptoms, known as intrusive memories, causes flashbacks to the traumatic event and upsetting dreams. The third group of symptoms that a Post Traumatic Stress Disorder patient may experience, includes emotional numbing or avoidance. This group of symptoms includes memory problems, poor concentration, feeling emotionally numb, a sense of hopelessness, and an avoidance of activities that the person used to find enjoyable.
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder symptoms may be present for a while, disappear and then return again. General stress may increase the symptoms, as can reminders of the traumatic incident.
Therapists who address Post Traumatic Stress Disorder generally use one, or a combination of trauma therapies to treat it. Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) is commonly used and can help a person to change their reactions to traumatic memories.
Exposure therapy can help a person reduce the amount of fear related to the feelings and thoughts associated with past traumatic events. Cognitive therapy helps a person to change the way he or she thinks about the event and the aftermath of a traumatic incident. It will help a person to identify thoughts that cause fear and anger, and learn ways to replace those thoughts with less stressful and more empowering thoughts.
If you are looking for a counsellor or psychologist who offers Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and related issues you may want to search the directory to find a professional whose approach will suit you best.
Note: You may narrow your search by selecting more than one filter below.
- (-) Remove Nelson filterNelson
- Abbotsford (2)Apply Abbotsford filter
- Burnaby (5)Apply Burnaby filter
- Chilliwack (4)Apply Chilliwack filter
- Coquitlam (2)Apply Coquitlam filter
- Delta (2)Apply Delta filter
- Duncan (1)Apply Duncan filter
- Kelowna (1)Apply Kelowna filter
- Langley (2)Apply Langley filter
- Maple Ridge (1)Apply Maple Ridge filter
- New Westminster (1)Apply New Westminster filter
- North Vancouver (3)Apply North Vancouver filter
- Port Moody (2)Apply Port Moody filter
- Richmond (1)Apply Richmond filter
- South Surrey (5)Apply South Surrey filter
- Squamish (2)Apply Squamish filter
- Surrey (6)Apply Surrey filter
- Tsawwassen (1)Apply Tsawwassen filter
- Vancouver (24)Apply Vancouver filter
- Victoria (4)Apply Victoria filter
- West Vancouver (1)Apply West Vancouver filter
- White Rock (1)Apply White Rock filter
- (-) Remove Family Issues filterFamily Issues
- (-) Remove Post Traumatic Stress Disorder filterPost Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual (1)Apply Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual filter
- Addictions - Including Substances (1)Apply Addictions - Including Substances filter
- Anxiety and/or Panic (1)Apply Anxiety and/or Panic filter
- Chronic Pain (1)Apply Chronic Pain filter
- Depression (1)Apply Depression filter
- Grief and Loss - General (1)Apply Grief and Loss - General filter
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues (1)Apply Marriage and/or Relationship Issues filter
- Parenting Issues (1)Apply Parenting Issues filter
- Sexual Assault (1)Apply Sexual Assault filter
- Sexuality (1)Apply Sexuality filter
- Spirituality (1)Apply Spirituality filter
- Trauma Counselling (1)Apply Trauma Counselling filter
- Body Centred Psychotherapy (1)Apply Body Centred Psychotherapy filter
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT) (1)Apply Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT) filter
- Emotionally Focused Therapy - Individuals (1)Apply Emotionally Focused Therapy - Individuals filter
- Family Therapy (1)Apply Family Therapy filter
- Marriage & Couples Counselling (1)Apply Marriage & Couples Counselling filter
- ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING (1)Apply ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING filter
- Satir Therapy (1)Apply Satir Therapy filter
- Sex Therapy (1)Apply Sex Therapy filter
- Somatic Experiencing (1)Apply Somatic Experiencing filter
- Spiritual Counselling (1)Apply Spiritual Counselling filter