Counselling Nelson - Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Counsellors, Psychologists, Therapists in Nelson
Counselling Gibsons contains information about counsellors, psychologists, and therapists in the Gibsons area. professionals may assist individuals, couples and/or families. Coming from a range of backgrounds, and having a range of skills all of these professionals vary in the way they work with clients.
Be sure to read the profiles to get a good sense of who may be a good match for you.
Counselling Nelson contains information about counsellors, psychologists, and therapists in the Nelson area. These counsellors, psychologists, and therapists may assist individuals, couples and/or families. Many will be able to provide anger management counselling, depression counselling, anxiety counselling, marriage counselling, and trauma counselling.
Explore the information within the counselling listings for Nelson to get a better sense of which counselling professional might be a match for you.
Nelson consists of the following neighbourhoods:
Fairview, Uphill, Downtown, North Shore, Bonnington, Mountain Station, Rosemont, Lower Six Mile, 6 Mile
If you want to search a nearby city then click on the check mark for Nelson to unselect it and choose another city.
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is an anxiety disorder that usually starts within the three months of a traumatic incident. It has been reported that in rare cases, PTSD symptoms may only occur after a number of years.
Three groups of symptoms are present in people with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Increased anxiety / emotional arousal includes anger or irritability, overwhelming shame or guilt, sleeplessness and self-destructive behaviour. The second group of symptoms, known as intrusive memories, causes flashbacks to the traumatic event and upsetting dreams. The third group of symptoms that a Post Traumatic Stress Disorder patient may experience, includes emotional numbing or avoidance. This group of symptoms includes memory problems, poor concentration, feeling emotionally numb, a sense of hopelessness, and an avoidance of activities that the person used to find enjoyable.
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder symptoms may be present for a while, disappear and then return again. General stress may increase the symptoms, as can reminders of the traumatic incident.
Therapists who address Post Traumatic Stress Disorder generally use one, or a combination of trauma therapies to treat it. Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) is commonly used and can help a person to change their reactions to traumatic memories.
Exposure therapy can help a person reduce the amount of fear related to the feelings and thoughts associated with past traumatic events. Cognitive therapy helps a person to change the way he or she thinks about the event and the aftermath of a traumatic incident. It will help a person to identify thoughts that cause fear and anger, and learn ways to replace those thoughts with less stressful and more empowering thoughts.
If you are looking for a counsellor or psychologist who offers Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and related issues you may want to search the directory to find a professional whose approach will suit you best.
Note: You may narrow your search by selecting more than one filter below.
- (-) Remove Gibsons filterGibsons
- (-) Remove Nelson filterNelson
- Abbotsford (5)Apply Abbotsford filter
- Burnaby (18)Apply Burnaby filter
- Campbell River (1)Apply Campbell River filter
- Chilliwack (4)Apply Chilliwack filter
- Comox (1)Apply Comox filter
- Coquitlam (8)Apply Coquitlam filter
- Courtenay (1)Apply Courtenay filter
- Delta (5)Apply Delta filter
- Duncan (5)Apply Duncan filter
- Fort Langley (4)Apply Fort Langley filter
- Kelowna (4)Apply Kelowna filter
- Langley (13)Apply Langley filter
- Maple Ridge (2)Apply Maple Ridge filter
- Nanaimo (7)Apply Nanaimo filter
- New Westminster (2)Apply New Westminster filter
- North Vancouver (9)Apply North Vancouver filter
- Port Coquitlam (1)Apply Port Coquitlam filter
- Port Moody (12)Apply Port Moody filter
- Richmond (4)Apply Richmond filter
- South Surrey (9)Apply South Surrey filter
- Squamish (2)Apply Squamish filter
- Sunshine Coast (5)Apply Sunshine Coast filter
- Surrey (19)Apply Surrey filter
- Tsawwassen (2)Apply Tsawwassen filter
- Vancouver (113)Apply Vancouver filter
- Downtown (24)Apply Downtown filter
- East Side (5)Apply East Side filter
- Fairview (4)Apply Fairview filter
- Grandview-Woodland (2)Apply Grandview-Woodland filter
- Kitsilano (7)Apply Kitsilano filter
- Mount Pleasant (5)Apply Mount Pleasant filter
- Oakridge (1)Apply Oakridge filter
- Renfrew - Collingwood (2)Apply Renfrew - Collingwood filter
- Riley Park (1)Apply Riley Park filter
- Shaugnessy (1)Apply Shaugnessy filter
- Victoria - Fraserview (1)Apply Victoria - Fraserview filter
- West End (5)Apply West End filter
- Yaletown (3)Apply Yaletown filter
- Victoria (25)Apply Victoria filter
- West Vancouver (3)Apply West Vancouver filter
- White Rock (5)Apply White Rock filter
- (-) Remove Post Traumatic Stress Disorder filterPost Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual (1)Apply Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual filter
- Addictions - Including Substances (1)Apply Addictions - Including Substances filter
- Anxiety and/or Panic (2)Apply Anxiety and/or Panic filter
- Chronic Pain (1)Apply Chronic Pain filter
- COVID-19 Stress, Anxiety and Depression (1)Apply COVID-19 Stress, Anxiety and Depression filter
- Depression (1)Apply Depression filter
- Family Issues (1)Apply Family Issues filter
- Grief and Loss - General (1)Apply Grief and Loss - General filter
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues (1)Apply Marriage and/or Relationship Issues filter
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (1)Apply Obsessive Compulsive Disorder filter
- Parenting Issues (1)Apply Parenting Issues filter
- Sexual Assault (1)Apply Sexual Assault filter
- Sexuality (1)Apply Sexuality filter
- Spirituality (1)Apply Spirituality filter
- Stress Management (1)Apply Stress Management filter
- Trauma Counselling (1)Apply Trauma Counselling filter
- Women's Issues (1)Apply Women's Issues filter
- Body Centred Psychotherapy (1)Apply Body Centred Psychotherapy filter
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) (1)Apply Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) filter
- EMDR (1)Apply EMDR filter
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT) (1)Apply Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT) filter
- Emotionally Focused Therapy - Individuals (1)Apply Emotionally Focused Therapy - Individuals filter
- Existential-Humanistic (1)Apply Existential-Humanistic filter
- Family Therapy (1)Apply Family Therapy filter
- Marriage & Couples Counselling (1)Apply Marriage & Couples Counselling filter
- ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING (1)Apply ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING filter
- Satir Therapy (1)Apply Satir Therapy filter
- Sex Therapy (1)Apply Sex Therapy filter
- Somatic Experiencing (1)Apply Somatic Experiencing filter
- Spiritual Counselling (1)Apply Spiritual Counselling filter
- Video Counselling (1)Apply Video Counselling filter