Cancer Care and Support Somatic Experiencing
Cancer Care and Support
Cancer care and support is essential after receiving a diagnosis. Someone who has just received a devastating diagnosis is bound to experience strong emotions and they may or may not be open to talking to friends or family. This can affect interpersonal relationships, as everyone around might feel afraid, directionless, numb and shocked. A person who has been diagnosed with cancer can find inner strength to face the road ahead by speaking to a counsellor who has experience with cancer.
People with cancer often try to be strong for their loved ones, despite the fear they themselves face. At the same time, relatives tend to be afraid of expressing their own thoughts and feelings. The load can be minimized for both the cancer patient and his or her family by speaking to a psychologist.
The general consensus is that a positive attitude is essential for fighting cancer, and while that is a great tool, it can do more harm than good. It implies that people who lose the battle against cancer were negative. Unfortunately, the positive attitude analogy leaves no room for exploring anxiety and fear, or the grief commonly associated with a diagnosis.
A psychologist or counsellor who is knowledgeable about cancer care and support is the partner of choice for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, as well as for their friends and family. The therapist will help people to understand the impacts of a cancer diagnosis and the treatments. A psychologist will ensure that you have all the emotional tools required to handle the challenges on the road to recovery.
If you are looking for a counsellor or psychologist who offers cancer care and support therapy to address your emotional issues related to cancer, you may want to search the directory to find a professional whose approach will suit you best.
Somatic Experiencing offers brief and holistic therapy for activating inner resources to resolve and heal emotional wounds. It can help clients to develop a level of calm and maintain productivity amidst traumatic experiences.
The human autonomic nervous system is the subject of Somatic Experiencing therapy, which helps the autonomic nervous system to regulate and balance itself after a traumatic experience.
Sessions for Somatic Experiencing are usually facilitated on a one-on-one basis and the client will track his or her emotions, which provides valuable information that the therapist can use.
Somatic Experiencing is a great tool for dealing with trauma, as well as tensions, and sexual concerns. SE is similar to EMDR which also integrates the physical body with the therapeutic process in order to gain insight and awareness.
If you are looking for a therapist who offers Somatic Experiencing, please browse our list of practitioners below..
Note: You may narrow your search by selecting more than one filter below.
- (-) Remove Cancer Care and Support filterCancer Care and Support
- Anxiety and/or Panic (2)Apply Anxiety and/or Panic filter
- Chronic Illness (1)Apply Chronic Illness filter
- Cross Cultural Issues (1)Apply Cross Cultural Issues filter
- Death and Dying (2)Apply Death and Dying filter
- Depression (1)Apply Depression filter
- Eldercare Issues (1)Apply Eldercare Issues filter
- Family Caregiver Stress (1)Apply Family Caregiver Stress filter
- Family Issues (1)Apply Family Issues filter
- Grief and Loss - General (3)Apply Grief and Loss - General filter
- Life Transitions (2)Apply Life Transitions filter
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues (2)Apply Marriage and/or Relationship Issues filter
- Personal Growth (3)Apply Personal Growth filter
- Pre-Marital Counselling (1)Apply Pre-Marital Counselling filter
- Professional Burnout (3)Apply Professional Burnout filter
- Racism Issues (1)Apply Racism Issues filter
- Retirement (1)Apply Retirement filter
- Self-Esteem Issues (1)Apply Self-Esteem Issues filter
- Sleep Difficulties-Adults (1)Apply Sleep Difficulties-Adults filter
- Spirituality (2)Apply Spirituality filter
- Stress Management (1)Apply Stress Management filter
- Trauma Counselling (2)Apply Trauma Counselling filter
- Women's Issues (1)Apply Women's Issues filter
- (-) Remove Somatic Experiencing filterSomatic Experiencing
- Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (1)Apply Acceptance & Commitment Therapy filter
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) (2)Apply Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) filter
- Cross Cultural Therapy (1)Apply Cross Cultural Therapy filter
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (1)Apply Dialectical Behaviour Therapy filter
- EMDR (3)Apply EMDR filter
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT) (1)Apply Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT) filter
- Family Systems (2)Apply Family Systems filter
- Family Therapy (1)Apply Family Therapy filter
- Gottman Method Couples Therapy (1)Apply Gottman Method Couples Therapy filter
- Grief and Loss - Complicated. (1)Apply Grief and Loss - Complicated. filter
- Group Therapy (1)Apply Group Therapy filter
- Marriage & Couples Counselling (1)Apply Marriage & Couples Counselling filter
- Mindfulness approaches (2)Apply Mindfulness approaches filter
- Narrative Therapy (1)Apply Narrative Therapy filter
- ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING (1)Apply ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING filter
- Psycho-Educational Groups (1)Apply Psycho-Educational Groups filter
- Psychodynamic Therapy (1)Apply Psychodynamic Therapy filter
- Solution Focused Therapy (1)Apply Solution Focused Therapy filter
- Telephone Counselling (1)Apply Telephone Counselling filter
- Video Counselling (1)Apply Video Counselling filter